VMware Cloud Community
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't add NSF datastore

I really don't know what I am doing wrong. I thought I followed everything but it's not working and it's left me feeling clueless. 

I need to add a  LenovoEMC™ px4-300d as a datastore but I am getting an error:

Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to complete Sysinfo operation. Please see the VMkernel log file for more details.: Sysinfo error: TimeoutSee VMkernel log for details.

I don't even know what details to provide, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Tell me what information you need from me and I will provide it.

Thanks,

Jessica

ESXi version:

0 Kudos
33 Replies
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you provide the output from here (please remove any customer specific information):

/var/log/vmkernel.log

The errors may help troubleshoot the issue. 

0 Kudos
vmotiontheinfo
Contributor
Contributor

As recommended by @pcgeek2009 , vmkernel.log file would really help in understanding what is going on.

Also, I hope you are following this vmware kb to mount nfs on esxi. Kindly check if the nfs mount points have been exported properly and this esxi/cluster has the root access to the mounts or check for the access control on nfs side?

0 Kudos
vmotiontheinfo
Contributor
Contributor

Also, it should not be related but v6.7 is out of support, even out of technical guidance too. You should get this upgraded asap.

Kindly note that as per this Hardware Compatibility Guide Link, it supports only NFS v4.1.

Also, check for the FW ports which are required for NFS to work

0 Kudos
nordhuus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have several NFS shares on LenovoEMC™ px4-300d? How is the NFS share that you want to use as a datastore setup? Show us a screenshot of the settings.

A good test of a NFS share is to use a linux machine to see if you are able to mount and browse the share.

Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is the document that I was following.

And yes I know we are way behind and need to upgrade our VMWare version.

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not have a Linux machine to be able to test anything. Attached are the screen shots of the NSF setup.

Thanks,

Jessica1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

0 Kudos
nordhuus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Add your Esxi host ip address here:

nordhuus_0-1702917930133.png

And please show us how you mount it from the Esxi host.

Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just put the IP address in that box? Nothing else?

In ESXi I go to Storage - Datastores tab and click New Datastore - Mount NFS Datastore - Next

I fill in the boxes:

Name - I've tried the NAS' name on the network - NRD-BU1 and I've tried just giving it a name - EMC

NFS Server - 10.0.0.16 - ESXi IP is 10.0.0.11

NFS Share -  /nfs/VM

NFS Version = NFS4

Username - Username

Password - Password

Click Next and Finish.

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, just the IP. This says that the host has permission to access the NFS share. You may also try using the IP rather than the name when trying to connect from the ESXi host. The documentation says "For the server name, you can enter an IP address, a DNS name, or an NFS UUID". I have found at times the IP works better. Address any potential DNS issues. Also, have you tried pulling the logs from the path in my previous post and uploading them? That may give us a better idea of the issue.

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I thought I added the log but it's not there. I don't know what happened. I just tried to attach the file that was generated and it says I can't attach it because it is a .tgz file. I don't even know what that is. So maybe that's what happened and I didn't notice it.

Anyway, I am wondering if I am missing a step. Do I need to set up a separate VMKernel NIC for this to work properly?

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok I found this in the log...

WARNING: NFS41: NFS41ExidNFSProcess:2054: Server doesn't support the NFS 4.1 protocol

And I found another post that said the solution was upgrading the distro. I'm not sure what that means. What do I need to upgrade to get this to work?

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Distro would be the version of a Linux server you are running. In your case, you are trying to mount ESXi, so a distro does not apply. I found what I think is the post you are taking about and they mention their Linux box only supported 4.0, not 4.1. It looks like your on only on 6.7.0, no higher versions like  u1, u2, etc. I have been trying to see if 6.7.0 supports 4.1, or just 4.0. It does look like the storage may need to be on firmware version 4.1 or higher. Wondering if it does not fully support 4.1. 

pcgeek2009_0-1703089817017.png

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the VMWare compatibility guide it says this...

"Attention: Storage partners using ESX 4.0 or later may recommend VMW_PSP_RR for path failover policy for certain storage array models. If desired, contact the storage array manufacturer for recommendation and instruction to set VMW_PSP_RR appropriately."

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=san&productid=36586&release...

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

LOL I didn't see the image you included until after I posted that. 

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there maybe an NSF rule that I can create on the NAS that says to use 4.0?

0 Kudos
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am not that familiar with the px4-300d to be able to answer that question. I found a manual, but it did not indicate a way to force it down to 4.0. From looking at your previous screenshots, if you click "NFS" are there any options listed? Is an upgrade possible for your VMware environment?

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know. I can't even get the files to copy from the current datastore (synology DS3612xs) to the local disk. I'm in panic mode at this point. Just hoping the synology stays up long enough to get everything off of it.

I have 2 copies of VMWare running. Maybe if I can upgrade one copy and move the vm's to it and then upgrade the other. What do I need to do that?

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you mean you have just two ESXi hosts or two vCenter environments?

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sorry... 2 ESXi hosts.

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos