VMware Cloud Community
Robton_Greysby
Contributor
Contributor

Can't access ESXi Embedded Host Client over PPTP VPN tunnel

Hi everybody, i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section or already been asked, but i searched google and these forums high and low for a solution, to which i could find none Smiley Sad

I'm having difficulty connecting to the Embedded host client (web interface) of my ESXi server while VPN'ed-in remotely through a PPTP tunnel. All i get when attempting to access it is the classic blue background of the interface, with no prompt to login, or username and password fields to fill (scroll down to see screen shots)

The strange thing is, i can still log into it with the vSphere Client application just fine, in addition to successfully pinging and SSH'ing into it through the tunnel! The web interface is accessed successfully from within my home networks subnet (A workaround i've been using is RDP'ing into a virtual machine and using the WebUI from within there)

Partial diagram of my home lab topology (irrelevant parts excluded:)

Untitled.png

Details of the PPTP adapter on the remote client and subsequent ping to the ESXi host:

Capture4.PNG

SSL certificate warning in google chrome, everything looks good so far!

Capture2.PNG

Annnnd after about 30 seconds of waiting, this is the ultimate fate of my attempts to access the webUI..... Just a blue screen with no prompt to log in, or username and password fields to fill...

Capture3.PNG

But..... logging into the vSphere Client windows application is still successful! Strange....

Capture5.PNG

Does anybody have any thoughts on what is causing this? I initially thought it could be a cookie issue, but I cleared cookies and tried to access the web interface from incognito mode as is evident in the screen shots. I don't think it's a layer 3 issue as I can still ping it and manage the host through the vSphere client. Firewall on my internet facing router perhaps? Routing table on the ESXi server? Port forwarding needed on one (or both) of the routers? I just don't know! Smiley Sad

I think it should be noted that I have a number of other devices in my home network which have web interfaces (APC PDU, both routers etc) and I can access them with no problem through the VPN tunnel.

I'd also prefer not to update my ESXi version to a newer one, I have lot's of depriciated hardware in my server....

Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

PS: If anybody is wondering why i need the WebUI when i still have access via the vSphere client app, it's so i can boot multiple VM's in bulk, instad of one-by-one in the client application :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
0 Replies