VMware Cloud Community
vinoth2511
Contributor
Contributor

Can't able to edit VM settings

I have deployed a VM from a template and i was trying to edit the VM settings(Note: VM is powered off) but i can't it is greyed out. I tried to migrate the VM to another ESX host even  migrate option is also greyed out and also delete from disk and remove from inventory is also greyed out. can anyone suggest me on this please

7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have permissions on this VM?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Has the deployment finished? Look at the status at the bottoms of the vSphere client-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It sounds as if either the deployment hasn't finished or it has got stuck. As weinstein has mentioned checked the status panel at the bottom of the screen to see if the deployment has completed without any errors

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
vinoth2511
Contributor
Contributor

deployment has finished. i've logged into the vm and i need to increase the hdd space so i tried to increase the size by editing the VM settings it is greyed out so i powered off the vm and tried to edit still it is greyed out

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Without the possibility to take a closer look at this situation, it's hard to say why all the different options are grayed out. However, the reason you cannot edit the virtual disk size could either be related to the virtual disk controller being an IDE controller or - in most cases - because the VM has an active snapshot. If the virtual disk's file name in the VM's properties contains s.th. like "...-00000x.vmdk" then you need to delete the snapshot(s) using the Snapshot Manager before you can increase the disk size.

André

BlinTUZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I had the same problem:

Windows server 2003 r2 - converted from physical machine.

A snapshot was taken and after it, most of the settings greyed out.

I did as a.p. advised and it worked.

Thank you, a.p.

0 Kudos
rajivroorkee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

Check  snapshot should be there ,please remove it . hope it will be working fine .

Rajiv Pandey

vthesis.wordpress.com

0 Kudos