VMware Cloud Community
mortis2600
Contributor
Contributor

Can't RDP or UNC into VMs on host

Good afternoon everyone,

I have a home lab server that I've been setting up over the last week. I have a Windows 10 VM and a FreeNAS VM on the host.

I can ping both VMs from a PC outside of the host. However, I cannot RDP into the Windows VM nor can I access any shares.

I've made sure that Windows Firewall is turned off and RDP is enabled on the VM. I can RDP and UNC to the VMs from other VMs on the host.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Is your source PC and the Windows 10 VM in the same network? Is the RDP port 3389 open between the source and the destination? From the source PC, run the command <telnet destination_IP 3389>. You might have to enable telnet on the source, if it is not enabled already.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
mortis2600
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, both the VM and the PC I'm using to try to RDP into it are on the same network. Both get a DHCP address from the same router.

RDP is enabled on the VM and working. I can RDP from a clone VM (different IP) to the VM I'm trying to get to. Just not from outside of the host.

This issue also seems to affect the ability to access SMB and NFS shares on VMs. Again, I can access shares VM to VM just not from outside of the host.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Un-check the below option on your destination system and see if it helps. I'm not sure if it would help though -

pastedImage_0.png

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
mortis2600
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, that's one of the first things I checked.

RDP is only one symptom. Like I said, this is also affecting the ability to get to a SMB share on either VM from outside the host. That's the main issue really.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

This is looking like a windows firewall.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
mortis2600
Contributor
Contributor

As mentioned in the OP, I have windows firewall disabled. I've tested VM to VM and everything works. This is also affecting the FreeNAS VM as well. I cannot access SMB shares on the Windows VM or the FreeNAS VM.

The only time this is failing is coming from machine outside of the host.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Do you see any packet drops or ping latency when pinging from the outside PC to the destination VM? Check for a minimum of 30-50 packets.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
mortis2600
Contributor
Contributor

I ran a ping test last night for about 5 minutes. I didn't see any drops.

0 Kudos