VMware Cloud Community
sergef1973
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Install new Virtual Machine from CD

I was trying to create a new WIndows 2003 Server Virtual Machine but for some reason Virtual Machine does not recognise bootable disk. I went into BIOS and CD is not showing there.

Here what I did based on sugestions from other threads:

1. Verified that Server 2003 disk is bootable (I can start installation on a standalone server)

2. Try to click on "connect to CD" in the toolbar

3. Verified setings for the CD

Does Anyone have any other suggestions on how to fix it?

Any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Verify that the CD in question is bootable. Make sure that the CD is in the server and that the settings for the VM point to the host (exsi) Servers CD drive. Make sure that the settings for the CD in the VM settings is set to connect at power on.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
sergef1973
Contributor
Contributor

As I said in my post. I verifie dthat CD is indeed bootable. CD is in the server. I am not sure what you mean "setting for the VM point to the host (EXSI) Server CD drive"

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

in the settings for the VM you can point the virtual cd to the physical cd drive in the ESX host, the physical cd in your workstation or to an ISO file of the cd - also check to make sure in these same settings that the cd check to connect at power on -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you are having trouble you also need to make sure that the CD is bootable in the ESXi host server. Problem with the drive, if the CD was created it can be that the cd doesn't work in all drives etc.

Check what the virtual machine settings are. In the screen cdrom settings page for the VM make sure the radio button indicates the server CD drive and not the client CD drive. The client CD drive is your workstation.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
ITTech2002
Contributor
Contributor

Are you attaching the CD from the Console or the VM Properties?

Sounds like the console... I suggest putting the CD in the ESX server, Opening the VM Properties, setting the CD to "host device", checking connect at power on, and restarting the VM.

0 Kudos