VMware Cloud Community
chimoe125
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Install ESX 4 on HP ML350 G6

Just got a brand new HP ML350 G6 in. Burned a ESX 4 U1 ISO Cd and popped it in the server. Got to the ESX install screen and choose "garphical mode". After this I had notice during the mount-cdrom it says "no installed cd found".

I am pretty sure CD drive works considering it booted into the installer fine and also I booted from stmart-start CD fine. I tried burning 2 other ESX cds and still same issue. Really odd issue. i called HP and they said nothing wrong with the drive, it's a vmware issue.

Anyone know of any issues to help me get this installed via the CD?

0 Kudos
28 Replies
WiEmWaerUser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone already reported this fact to VMWARE and/or HP?

Unfortunately, we don't have a contract with HP who would allow such support. It would be very kind, if someone else could do that.

0 Kudos
Enafets
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem with ML370 G6

0 Kudos
bdaeumling
Contributor
Contributor

i got exactly the same problem.

with ML350 G6 ML360 G6 and a ML370 G6.

We are HP-Partners but i think its a driverproblem from Vmware and not a fault from HP.

The CD-ROM isn`t working with one "special" Software so they want to lean back and waiting for a softwareupdate Smiley Happy

I hope Vmware implement some new drivers in the next Update

0 Kudos
karonoz
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue. Here is what I did to Load ESXI 4.1

1. Install ESXI 4.0

2. Download and install the VMware vcli utility

3. Download Upgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip (*Note: DO NOT RENAME THE FILE!)

4. Open the VSphere client utility and place the ESXI host into maintenance mode

5. Open the VCLI utility. Type "CD BIN"

6. Use the following syntax exactly. Change only the ip of the server and location of the file

a. vihostupdate.pl -url https://IPOFTHESERVER/sdk/webservice -i --bundle "C:\Upgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip"

b. log in with root and the password

7. Upon completion reboot the ESXI server and take the ESXI server out of maintenance mode when it comes back on line.

0 Kudos
tstone835
Contributor
Contributor

You can work around the issue by installing from a USB drive but if VMware cannot access that DVD drive, it prevents you from connecting that drive to any guest VMs for software installation or upgrades. I have opened a support incident with HP but they are trying to make it sound like a VMware problem. It is really both their problem because this is an approved product on HPs list. VMware also states that this is an approved model.

I have been on a support chat with HP and they were trying to make it sound like a VMware problem. I swapped the drive while we were chatting and verified that a replacement drive from a desktop PC worked fine. The internal HP DVD-ROM drive was an LG DH20N, firmware EB00. They will probably send the same model as replacement but hopefully with a different firmware revision. I'll see if it makes a difference.

- Tom

0 Kudos
zorzside
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had same problem.

Resolved simply changing the cd/dvd drive.

Original cd/dvd drives have some problems.

Bye

0 Kudos
tstone835
Contributor
Contributor

I received a replacement dvd drive from HP and it worked great for the VMWare install.  They shipped a different brand of drive as the replacement.  My testing showed that the original drive was incompatible with some versions of Linux, Windows, and BAD Unix,too.  It looks like HP's supplier in this case, LG, shipped an untested firmware on these drives.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if DVD not works, may using usb to install can be a solution

http://blog.laspina.ca/ubiquitous/creating-usb-based-boot-media-for-esx-4-installs

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
tstone835
Contributor
Contributor

That is true but it was a brand new server in my situation that was on the approved hardware list.  I wanted to be sure that HP was aware of the problem and that I would be able to re-install in the future if the USB drive was unavailable.

0 Kudos