VMware Cloud Community
Stephen_E1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can see LUNs but not datastores on one of 3 ESXi 5.1 hosts

We're currently setting up a new iSCSI SAN in our datacenter, however I'm running into a bit of an issue.

Everything works great on 2 of our 3 ESXi hosts, however the third host cannot see any datastores on the new SAN. It can however, see all the LUNs. The LUNs are being presented consistently across the cluster (verified by running esxcli storage core path list as per VMware KB: Identifying disks when working with VMware ESX/ESXi ) and esxcli storage core device list does not show any attached filters on the third host. I've tried following VMware KB: Cannot see some or all storage devices in VMware vCenter Server or VirtualCenter to troubleshoot, however there doesn't seem to be any recommended action if the LUNs are consistent. Does anyone know where I might look to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stephen_E1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks john23,

That got me on the right track, I could see in the log that the connection to the initiator was failing so I went back to the basics and tried a vmkping which worked, and then tried a vmkping using jumbo frames which failed! Turns out the MTU for the vSwitch itself wasn't configured correctly on the third host though the VMkernel ports were.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Stephen,

Which iSCSI SAN are you using? Have you verified if its compatible with ESXi 5.1? If not, verify it here VMware Compatibility Guide: System Search

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

When you rescan iscsi on third host, can you check /var/log/messages. It will show exactly where is the issue lying. If everything is properly mapped (as you says), we will be able to figure out.

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
Stephen_E1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks john23,

That got me on the right track, I could see in the log that the connection to the initiator was failing so I went back to the basics and tried a vmkping which worked, and then tried a vmkping using jumbo frames which failed! Turns out the MTU for the vSwitch itself wasn't configured correctly on the third host though the VMkernel ports were.

Thanks!