VMware Cloud Community
meghas1234
Contributor
Contributor

Can not power on a VM. I/O error. ca not open the disk '.vmfs/volumes/eeaff472-a4518da9/***** .vmdk or one of the snapshot it depends on.

Hi All,

I am not able to power on one VM due to above error. I have checked and there vmdk file in the datastore..

Anyone can help....

0 Kudos
13 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Could you please verify whether or not the VM is running on snapshot?

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
meghas1234
Contributor
Contributor

no snapshot..but i can not see any flat.vmdk file...

0 Kudos
meghas1234
Contributor
Contributor

is there any way where i can copy the flat.vmdk file from snapshot. We take datastore snapshots, and i can see the flat.vmdk file in snapshot. The file is 30GB and if I download it locally and then move it to the server folder it will take time.

Is there any other way to do that?

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you copy the flat.vmdk manually, I afraid the new disk is without the latest changes (delta). Try clone it instead #vmkfstools -i

BTW, couple of screenshots will be very helpful. (Datastore browser > VM folder, virtual disk> Edit setting & etc)

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In addition to the screen shots, please post (attach) the VM's latest vmware.log file. This should contain details about the error message.

André

0 Kudos
meghas1234
Contributor
Contributor

Pls find attached the screenshot..

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the screen shot the base disks have a new time stamp whereas the snapshot show a rather old one. This usually happens if someone manually attached the virtual disks to a VM.!? Can you please explain exactly what happened (and when) to see whether there's a chance to "restore" the snapshots. Since the GUI does not show all files, it's important to run ls -lisa from the command line (e.g. using SSH/putty) to see the time stamps of all files.

André

0 Kudos
meghas1234
Contributor
Contributor

Actually this vm is used by our development team. A user from the team came to me and reported that he is not able to connect to one of his machine yesterday. I found this machine is power off status. There were alerts i could see in vshere;

VM powered off an dthen a log was Configuration file not found.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

we really need to see the vmware.logs - especially the details about the I/O errors.

There exists a certain type of errors where you will not be able to move/cone/convert the vmdk unless you use a Linux system to do so.

0 Kudos
meghas1234
Contributor
Contributor

I do not know how can i give you vm's vmware.log file.

Can you tell me how to do that?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can download these files from the VM's folder in the datastore browser. Please download all the vmware*.log files, compress/zip them and attach the .zip file to your next post using "Attach Files".

André

0 Kudos
hmus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

@ hmus

OPs problem is completely different - your link does not apply

0 Kudos