VMware Cloud Community
Xian78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can boot guest from ISO but not install OS from ISO

I have many ISO files for geust OS installation that have been tested and used many times over.

I have a new vSphere 5.1 installation with no local DVDROM so I have uploaded some ISO's to the local datastore.

The guest VMs can boot to those ISO files but OS installation fails, with different errors from each different OS.

Windows 7 installation fails because the drivers for the CDROM aren't available.

I have reverified the files as well as reuploaded them to the datastore a couple times with the same results.

I have mounted the Windows 7 ISO file on my local machine and then used connect to client device to that mounted ISO and installation from it works, so after dismounting the ISO locally I uploaded once more and tried installing another VM from it with the same results.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You may wish to check the integrity of the download:

kb.vmware.com/kb/1032711
http://communities.vmware.com/message/2129445

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You may wish to check the integrity of the download:

kb.vmware.com/kb/1032711
http://communities.vmware.com/message/2129445

0 Kudos
Xian78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I'll give it a shot but it doesn't explain what I am seeing.

It seems that every ISO I upload is bad, so 10 for 10 right now.

My CentOS ISO passes verification afer boot but then install fails, research error says faulty installation media, but it passes verification???

I can conenct from the same machine and upoad the same ISOs to this and another host and they work fine on the othre host but not on this one.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What hardware are you using for the host and what is the storage?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
Xian78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry it took so long to reply.

It did indeed turn out to be an issue with the ISO files.

I could take those ISO files in to a VM on that host and burn and usable ISO from them to disk which works everywhere else I tested them but on this host I could not install a guest OS with any of them.

I re-downloaded the ISOs to a VM on the host then uploaded to the datastore and the new downloads work on this host.

I think it is very odd but I was able to get around it thanks to help from the community.

I awarded answers and helpfuls, thanks everybody.

0 Kudos