VMware Cloud Community
jaybasford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can VMware ESXi 5.1.0 free edition be configured in High Availability?

We have an existing environment of VMware ESXi 5.1.0 free edition, where need to upgrade/configure High Availability.  Is this supported in Free edition, and if so, where can we locate documentation on how to perform this?

In searching the below links, didn't find confirmation that free edition is supported;

Any help gratefully accepted.  If need to purchase license then guidance on cheapest entry point would be appreciated also.

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NetworkNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'd recommend talking to your preferred value added reseller like SHI. CDW, etc. to get a quote for the Essentials Plus licensing, and I'd check your hosts for hardware compatibility on the latest versions of vSphere so you can upgrade once you obtain the license.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NetworkNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If by high availability you mean the paid feature that allows your VMs to restart on another host in the event one fails, the answer is no.  You would need at least vSphere Essentials Plus (covers up to 3 hosts) to get license for high availability.  When you say you have a need for high availability, is this a business need or something you just want?  Are the executives willing to pay for the licensing?

0 Kudos
NetworkNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'd recommend talking to your preferred value added reseller like SHI. CDW, etc. to get a quote for the Essentials Plus licensing, and I'd check your hosts for hardware compatibility on the latest versions of vSphere so you can upgrade once you obtain the license.

0 Kudos
jaybasford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes business need - VM hosts site wide IP notifications system and for upgrade to latest version requires/recommends HA.

No unfortunately executives not willing to pay, but if no choices...

Thanks for replies!

0 Kudos