VMware Cloud Community
curtcorwin
Contributor
Contributor

Can RPD into 2003 server but cant CTRL+ALT-DEL console

Hello,

I have 10 VM's on a single host ESXi 4.1.  When I click on a specific 2003 VM in vmware client, I can see the login box but I cant ctrl+alt-del and I cant send ctrl-alt-del.  I can RDP into it fine.  None of the other 9 VM's are having this issue.  Anyone else see this?  I have not restarted the machine yet.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you see this issue only be using the keyboard or does the same issue occur when you select "Send Ctrl-Alt-Del" from the menu.

André

0 Kudos
curtcorwin
Contributor
Contributor

I see the login box in the console window.  Sending ctrl-alt-del by right clicking on the VM and selecting from the menu, physically one the keyboard pressing it, or pressing ctl-alt-ins all does nothing.

On all the other VM's I can grab the login box with my mouse and move it around.  On this 1 I cant.  However, if I click my mouse into the console screen, the mouse disappears.  Odd...  I'm a bit worried about it.

I can ping it.  It's a terminal server and it works fine for everyone using RDP.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already try to connect to the TS through an admin RDP connection (mstsc /admin) and/or check whether there's something in the Windows event logs (e.g. a service which does not start, ...)

André

0 Kudos
curtcorwin
Contributor
Contributor

I can login fine both via "mstsc /admin" and also "mstsc /console" and the system logs don't say much other than typical stuff...

0 Kudos
walter_harris
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

did you try to press CTRL+ALT+END

0 Kudos
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vmware tools up to date?

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
0 Kudos
curtcorwin
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.

0 Kudos
curtcorwin
Contributor
Contributor

Of course.

0 Kudos
curtcorwin
Contributor
Contributor

I got ahold of VMWare tech support over the weekend.  They came in and reset services on the ESXi host and checked some logs.  It appears to be an issue with the guest operating system which is a 2003 server.  Weird..

0 Kudos