VMware Cloud Community
MCioe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can I use a single ESXi ISO on multiple HW vendor server types

I would like to maintain a single ESXi ISO file that I can use to install on different Server types; for example, I have servers with 2 different vendors' RAID drivers. I don't want to have to find and install the correct ISO file, but maintain one which has the drivers for both server types.

I'm thinking I could create a single ISO (using PowerCLI) which would include the VIBs for both vendors.  I'm hoping that the hypervisor would recognize and install the correct VIB.

If I get a chance, I hope to try it out next week, but figured I would see if anyone had tried anything like it

Thanks,

Maureen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Create a custom ISO with the required drivers. All the drivers will be installed. Hardware will automatically select the required driver at the time of loading. Refer the below links for building a custom ISO -

https://www.vladan.fr/how-to-create-a-custom-esxi-6-5-iso-with-vmware-image-builder-gui/

https://www.altaro.com/vmware/esxi-image-vmware-image-builder/

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the only difference between the hardware on which you'd want to install ESXi is a difference of storage controllers then sure, that's no big deal. But if you had the idea to make a universal image that's applicable to different models of servers from disparate vendors then that's not a good idea. There are far more things custom about those ISOs than a few handy drivers.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Create a custom ISO with the required drivers. All the drivers will be installed. Hardware will automatically select the required driver at the time of loading. Refer the below links for building a custom ISO -

https://www.vladan.fr/how-to-create-a-custom-esxi-6-5-iso-with-vmware-image-builder-gui/

https://www.altaro.com/vmware/esxi-image-vmware-image-builder/

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>> I'm thinking I could create a single ISO (using PowerCLI) which would include the VIBs for both vendors.

Ok - you can indeed do that. But you invest an non-significant amount of time and brain into learning the special building procedure.

Along the way you need to get a copy of ALL the relevant vendor-build ISOs.

And you should keep them all in case you need to revert to an older build - have a machine with an obscure BIOS or ... or ... or ...

All in all I would suggest:

simply maintain a usable library of ISOs and keep it in your pocket.

Learning how to really make a GOOD custom-iso  and keep it uptodate is a lot of work.

Upto ESXi 6.0 for example I used to make a MultiBoot ESXi LiveCD for my recovery needs

A lot of fun ... but not really worth the effort ....

In the end - just  and only knowing where your towel is ... your map with the Vendor Isos is .... will get the job done.

And by the way .... the skill to create MultiBoot BootCDs outdates as fast as lightning - if you dont keep track you will be outdated after half a year.

Been there - done that .

> I have servers with 2 different vendors' RAID drivers. I don't want to have to find and install the correct ISO file.

In the long run doing exactly that probably is the more reliable and less work intensive way.

0 Kudos
MCioe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not sure where this is going to go, but if I can get a single ISO it will simplify life for my user.  If I have to deal with CM and testing headaches on my end that is an acceptable cost. My use cases are not your standard data center (e.g. server farm in a building) and I am trying to come up with a solution for a user who may or may not know how to use the software, which makes life interesting. I need to provide the simplest solution for the end IT administrator who will be following a set of installation instructions that we provide.

So, my takeaway is, yes it will probably work, but it will be a headache to keep track of all the vibs/drivers that need to be maintained.

0 Kudos