VMware Cloud Community
LizardJM
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use a Comtrol RocketPort (PCI 8-port) in a server running ESXi 4.1?

I have installed a Comtrol RocketPort (PCI 8-port) in a server running ESXi 4.1.  The 8 ports do not show up as being available for a guest serial port (the serial port on the motherboard does, and works with a modem), so I am guessing that ESXi 4.1 doesn't have drivers for this card built in.  Do I need to install a driver for this card in ESXi, and if so, where can I find one?  This seems like a fairly common multiport serial card, but I have done a fair amount of Googling to no avail so far.

How about ESXi 5.0?  We would like to upgrade to 5 eventually anyway, but currently waiting on a driver for the 3Ware 9650 RAID card (which works fine in ESXi 4.1, by the way, which has a built in driver for this card).  If the RocketPort would work in ESXi 5, we would consider using a different RAID card (an Intel card with SLI chips seems to work fine in 5.0).

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
brucekconvergen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your source for hardware / software compatiblity info with VMware Products is here:  http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

That said, Comtrol is not listed, and none of their products (obselete or new) appear to have ESX/ESXi drivers available.

LizardJM
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I was afraid of that... But, thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos
ComtrolBrady
Contributor
Contributor

The DeviceMaster RTS 8-Port or DeviceMaster Serial Hub 8-Port will work without any problems.

0 Kudos