VMware Cloud Community
islander_xm
Contributor
Contributor

Can I deploy vDS and Cisco N1V with one vCenter server at the same time?

Hi,

Is there anyone who try to deploy vDS and Cisco N1V with one vCenter server at the same time?

Best regards

islander

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi islander_xm,

There is a limit with N1KV : no more than 1 N1KV per vCenter Datacenter. This limit is strictly enforced.

I did not try to deploy more than 1 N1KV per vCenter in a different Datacenter.

You can deploy vDS in the same vCenter and in the same Datacenter as well. No problem with this.

Hope it helps.

Ludovic

Message was edited by: ldesfontaines Problem with a sentence

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you can. But as stated by Ludovic, only one N1kv per DC.

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
islander_xm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your all help. I also find a provenance from VMware white paper

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere-vnetwork-ds-migration-configuration-wp.pdf

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi islander_xm,

That's a very nice document you found!  However, that PDF is for ESX4 (old) and the configuration maximums and some other terminology and commands have changed slightly.  Overall, it's still accurate from an admin perspective.

Anyway, the VSM limitation is per VEM not per vCenter and currently, the configuration maximums for ESXi 5.1 and 5.5 allow 128 Distributed Virtual Switches (DVS) per vCenter.  However, when using the Cisco Nexus 1000v, the maximum supported number of DVS's is 32 (i.e. see example release notes here).

To answer your question, you can in fact have both the Cisco Nexus 1000v and VMware DVS in the same vCenter, but don't go above 32 DVS per vCenter (and no more than 16 DVS per host).

0 Kudos