VMware Cloud Community
NJDave70
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I convert a Thin Provisioned disk to a Thick Provisioned disk

We are running ESX4 Advanced Server as a stand alone server. No VCenter Server. The person that originally set this server up and the guest VM's used thin provisioning and over committed storage. I have moved some guests to another storage group and another Host, but would like to get everything converted to thick to avoid problems in the furture. Is there any way to do this with out rebuilding the guest machines.

Also how hard is it to resize the virtual disks and make them smaller. For example I have a few 50GB volumes that are only using about 15GB, i would like shrink them to about 30GB and reclaim the space. Is this possible without reinstalling the guest O/S.

Also so you are aware we are not using VMotion or VCenter. Just stand alone servers with local storage.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Once more quesiton though. If I use the VMware converter to change the thin provisioned to thick, is it possible keep the VM on the same host. Everytime I've used the Converter it asked for a source and destination ESX server. Am I doing something wrong when I'm using it?

Yes, when you using vConverter you may change thin from thick(flat) also resize it. To use same host, it's must not same VM name as before, you can put same ESX host in source and destination. But again, Not to use same VM name. Good luck.

@ -- visit my blog at http://www.azmer.my -- @ virtue your mind @ KamilAzmer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, you can convert thin to thick, which need to off the server and inflate the .vmdk files which require you to browse the datastore. You also can resize it in Edit Options.

Also how hard is it to resize the virtual disks and make them smaller. For example I have a few 50GB volumes that are only using about 15GB, i would like shrink them to about 30GB and reclaim the space. Is this possible without reinstalling the guest O/S.

Also so you are aware we are not using VMotion or VCenter. Just stand alone servers with local storage.

As per your quote, Yes, you may shrink by using the VMware Tools, there are shrink TAB, also you can use sdelete to shrink it. Once did it you need to use vConverter to clone the vmdk, cause you don't have SVMotion.

Otherwise you may use the vConverter to convert and configure again that VMs as what you want.

*Correct me if i'm wrong....*

NJDave70
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. Once more quesiton though. If I use the VMware converter to change the thin provisioned to thick, is it possible keep the VM on the same host. Everytime I've used the Converter it asked for a source and destination ESX server. Am I doing something wrong when I'm using it?

Thanks again for all your help.

0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Once more quesiton though. If I use the VMware converter to change the thin provisioned to thick, is it possible keep the VM on the same host. Everytime I've used the Converter it asked for a source and destination ESX server. Am I doing something wrong when I'm using it?

Yes, when you using vConverter you may change thin from thick(flat) also resize it. To use same host, it's must not same VM name as before, you can put same ESX host in source and destination. But again, Not to use same VM name. Good luck.

0 Kudos
NJDave70
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How about running the converter and converting to a VMworkstation format on a local folder and than running VMconverter again to convert it back to ESX? I did this as a test on a guest running XP and it worked. Any reason not to do it this way other than it takes longer? The reason I ask is I don't have the extra space on the ESX host.

0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How about running the converter and converting to a VMworkstation format on a local folder and than running VMconverter again to convert it back to ESX? I did this as a test on a guest running XP and it worked. Any reason not to do it this way other than it takes longer? The reason I ask is I don't have the extra space on the ESX host.

• If i'm not mistake of your question, Why you must need to converting it to VMworkstation format, it's will be same size as your current VM and make it taking of the space. Why not you use "Export to OVF" to your machine (need to poweroff the VM first) and after that you use can vConverter(or use vSphere Deploy OVF) to deploy it in your ESX. it's much easier than what you did before. You may tried it first.

• In my opinion, there are don't have any reason as long the way can be used and worked. but only the reason of how long it's will takes normally will be considered. Also how perfectly it's working.

*Correct me if i'm wrong*

Message was edited by: KamilAzmer