VMware Cloud Community
Viveik24
Contributor
Contributor

Can I connect to ESXi stand alone host via vsphere client without internet & Router

i install baer metal Esxi host and install vSphere client on Laptop both are connected via switch but i could not connect to esxi server through client

is Internet & Router required for Connectivity..

please Help me.. I installed Esxi 5.1 7 vsphere Client 5.1

20 Replies
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, i need more data, can you connect with vsphere client to the host? the host is reacheable in the network? any aditional info is apreciate

Regards

[VCAP5-DCA, VCP3/4/5, VCP-DT4, MCITP Network Infrastructure, HP ASE Bladesystem]
Viveik24
Contributor
Contributor

no i cannot connect to the host.. i give static IP ..and both machine are pinging to each other... but when i try to connect the host network error shown

0 Kudos
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if you have proxy settings, try to disable.

if you open a browser and navegate with the IP Host, can you see the host portal?

Are you using dns or ip for this test?

[VCAP5-DCA, VCP3/4/5, VCP-DT4, MCITP Network Infrastructure, HP ASE Bladesystem]
0 Kudos
Viveik24
Contributor
Contributor

no sir i didn't use DNS

through IE i able to open the Portal

0 Kudos
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

are you able to connect the laptop directly in the esxi?

0 Kudos
Viveik24
Contributor
Contributor

Sir now i explain you what i did...

on HP Z400 Workstation (8 GB Ram, Quad Core Processor & 250 GB HDD) i install ESXi 5.1

I gave 192.168.1.15 IP to host and Default Gateway as same

Install Vspere clinet on my laptop (Dual Core, 2 Gb Ram 320 Gb Hdd) and IP is 192.168.1.5 , default gateway is same

both are connected via Normal Switch

but when i try to open Host through Vsphere Client it shown Connection Error...

0 Kudos
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is so strange... please check this KB VMware KB: Diagnosing the vSphere Client when it fails to connect to an ESX/ESXi host or vCenter Ser...

in adition, check if you don't have duplicate ip in your network, and try to use the same gateway for both devices

Regards

Viveik24
Contributor
Contributor

but i want to ask is router is necessary to connect Esxi host to Vsphere Client..???

0 Kudos
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is not necessary if you have a single network(if you use the same network for both devices), you can leave the default gateway blank if you want

0 Kudos
Viveik24
Contributor
Contributor

ok i'll do that

but if u dont mind can u please suggest to how should i re setup my Virtualization lab at home..

0 Kudos
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

from the console of the esxi (DCUI), navigate to "Reset system configuration" and reboot the host. Then you need to set up the host again.

VMware vSphere 5.1

0 Kudos
AmarnathReddy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you please check the firewall settings to see if firewall is blocking the connectivity.

Please check this KB as well - VMware KB:    Cannot connect to the ESX/ESXi host or add it to vCenter Server 

Also, it would help if you can provide more details regarding the error message that you are seeing when trying to connect the ESXi standalone host.

Regards,

Amar

0 Kudos
AmarnathReddy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Also, Check that Port 903 must be open between the vSphere Client and ESX / ESXi hosts.

The vSphere Client uses this port to display virtual machine consoles on ESX / ESXi hosts.

0 Kudos
Viveik24
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere Client could not connect to "192.168.0.101

An Unknown Connection Error Occurred. (The client could not send a Complete request to the server. (The Underlying Connection was closed. An Unexpected error Occuredon a send.))

Vsphere Client have Windows XP. please suggest, know i'm using Router to connect them but problem still.

0 Kudos
Viveik24
Contributor
Contributor

Error_preview.png

0 Kudos
AmarnathReddy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you try disabling the proxy server using below steps -

1. Click Start > Control Panel.
  2. Click Network and Sharing Center or Network and Internet.
  3. Click Internet Options in the left pane.
  4. Click the Connections tab.
  5. Click LAN Settings.
  6. Deselect Use a proxy server for your LAN.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Click OK to close the Internet Properties window.

Also please try this KB - VMware KB: Cannot connect to VMware ESXi 5.0 host or VMware vCenter Server 5.0 using the vSphere Cli...

0 Kudos
Viveik24
Contributor
Contributor

its already deselect.

0 Kudos
Viveik24
Contributor
Contributor

Error.JPG

Exactly this error appear when i trying to connect Esxi Host.

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

This seems to me to be some kind of network-related problem. But definitely you do NOT need router to connect to ESXi-server. I have backup-ESXi at home and I can connect to it from my PC (both on the same physical switch). I do have router for internet-access but it is plugged in one switch-port, so it does not stand in way for PC<->ESXi connection...

All I can recommend is to check low-level network traffic. Use netcat, wireshark, or some other network-sniffer. I think vSphere standalone Client uses TCP for connection, so check if "3-way handshaking" is completed (I suppose not). You can also try "ping" (or "traceroute") again, but not with ICMP. Try UDP/TCP protocols...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉