VMware Cloud Community
amithad
Contributor
Contributor

Can I Use a Single License Key for Two Hypervisors

Hi,

I have downloaded ESXi 6.0 and ESXi 6.5.0a from my VMware login. But I have a same key for both versions. My question is can I install ESXi 6.0 in one physical server and ESXi 6.5.0a on another physical server using this same license key? Will it violate the VMware license if I use this same key on Two physical servers which has different VMware versions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

According to vmware licensing,

Licensing ESXi 6.x and vCenter Server 6.x (2107538) | VMware KB

You can add any number of licenses to the vSphere 6.x inventory. When assigning licenses in 6.x products, you can create a relationship between an asset and a license key. Each asset can be licensed by one license key or can be unlicensed as an Evaluation Mode.

So you can apply any one of the server with license and let other be at evaluation mode or free mode. Can't use the same key on both server simultaneously.

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Hi,

There is no specific key for 6.0 or 6.5, if you have license key for 6.x it can be used for any version in 6.x (6.0 , 6.5 etc). It will work without any issues. Also licenses are based on number of physical CPUs , if you have 4 CPU license then you may use same key for two 2 CPU physical servers . However, incase if you do not have vCenter server, I am not sure how it will work on two individual boxes. You may reach out to vmware licensing team and get this clarified (how to use this option without vcenter)

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In case you are talking about the free Hypervisor edition/license, I'm not aware of a limit regarding the number of hosts on which this license can be used.

André

0 Kudos
amithad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks for your valuable information.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Irwintech
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted VMWare in regards to using the same key on multiple hosts they said no issues doing that....

Hope that helps...
Casey

0 Kudos
Ramlem
Contributor
Contributor

Hi is this true? because all the while i've been using the same key with my two esxi host dell and IBM server.

Kindly advise!... Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With a paid license, the license key has a certain "capacity" of CPU that it covers. It's your responsibility to obey the EULA, i.e. use the key for no more that the licensed CPUs.

For the free Hypervisor license, the limitation - according to what's shown on the registration page - is to use it on no more than 100 hosts.

André

0 Kudos