VMware Cloud Community
derickso
Contributor
Contributor

Can ESXi suspend to RAM if all guests are asleep as well?

I'd like to run ESXi on a home server, I intend to have Windows 7 Media Center PC guest and a Solaris guest as a fileserver.  I'd like to configure my guests power management to trigger them to go to sleep if inactive for some amount of time (assuming this is even possible within a guest), and ideally I'd like ESXi to put the whole server to sleep if all VMs are detected asleep, then awake on any trigger conditions set by the guests.  Is this possible?  And if not what pieces are missing to make this possible?

Tags (3)
2 Replies
jintoa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is a feature called VMware DPM which put Host to standby mode and poweron using WOL or IPMI the host when required. DPM is a VC feature.

Signature: Disclaimer: My postings are my own and don’t necessarily represent VMware’s positions, strategies or opinions. If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanx!
0 Kudos
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

DPM only works in clusters and you need 2 or more hosts (it will never power down the last host) It also makes all its judgements off of resource consumption not power state of the VM's

ESX also does not have a suspend state, DPM works by actually powering down the hosts and using WOL or IPMI to power the hosts back up from a powered down state not a suspended state so its a full boot of ESXI

As far as I am aware there is no feature set to do the wake up that you are looking for especially not responding to something inside the virtual guest operating system in that state.

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##