VMware Cloud Community
lukeglazebrook
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Calling all old-school ESX 3.0.3 admins!! Any idea how I would go about getting some legacy Server2003 VM's out of an old ESX 3.0.3 and into a ESXi 5.5 environment?

Any idea how I would go about getting some legacy Server2003 VM's out of an old ESX 3.0.3 and into a ESXi 5.5 environment? I dont really have any experience with kit this old, I don't seem to be able to browse the datastores using either the fat or integrated host client. Also I don’t seem to be able to WINSCP to the host and browse the datastores sicne my username and password is constantly rejected for root. Also there does not see mto be an option to export the VM using the fat client.  I have even tried connecting WorkStation 10 to the host and I can’t see any means to get the VM's off in there either.

5 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

When you say you can't browse the datastore, can you login to the host/vCenter? 

I would suggest using the VMware StandAlone Converter to migrate the VM(s).  However, you may need to search for an older version of the converter that would be compatible with 3.03. 

Here's a link I found for the 3.03 version of the converter.

http://www.brothersoft.com/vmware-converter-158647.html

You can convert it to VMware Workstation format on your PC or on your network somewhere and then use a newer version of the converter to import that to your 5.5 environment. 

Hope this helps.

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
Frode_Garnes
Contributor
Contributor

Enable root login on ESX could solve Your WinSCP permission.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=837563...

But VMware Converter would probably be your best option, can perform a live convert of the 2003 VMs.

Advice to shutdown production services within the guests.

0 Kudos
lukeglazebrook
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I cant log into the host directly however you dont seem to be able to right click perform copy operations.  I can only browse data and delete files nothing more.  Are you suggesting that I boot the VM from an ISO and convert it that way (cold clone) ?

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

If that is the case, I would use the VMware Converter and treat the VM as a physical server and choose Powered-On Machine and convert it that way. 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

No, cold clone is not needed and won't directly work anyway.

Do as Ben stated above. It's a 2 step process using 2 versions of the VMWare vCenter converter. As far as I see vCenter converter 4.0.1 is capable of accessing ESX 3.x hosts. So get the installer for 4.0.1 from here: https://my.vmware.com/en/group/vmware/details?dlg=converter401&

baseCode=dGhiZHRwaGJqJSU=

Install that on some Workstation 1 as standalone installation (not network/advanced).

For the 2nd step you need a copy of VMWare vCenter converter 5.5. Get the installer from here: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter

And install that on Workstation 2, again as standalone installtion.

On Workstation 1 create a conversion job converting the Windows 2003 VM to local files with (important!) hardware version 6.5.

Copy over the converted file(s) to Workstation 2 and start another conversion job with converter 5.5 to hardware version 8 (don't use hw version 10 for now) and directly to your new ESXi 5.5 host.

Do not start/run the converted VM right after the conversion. At least take the "old" one offline before doing that.

As Frode stated you may need to shut down production services (e.g. database server etc.) before you convert. I would also uninstall all old (3.x) versions of VMWare Tools from the source VMs before conversion.

Unfortunately you can't install both converter versions 4.x and 5.5.x on the same machine easily.