VMware Cloud Community
kenwardc
Contributor
Contributor

Call "ServiceInstance.RetrieveContent" for object "ServiceInstance" on Server "xxxxxxxx" failed.

Hi Folks

I'm going around in circles with one of our hosts. It's running an old version of ESXi (4.x) and giving me lots of trouble with connecting. This has not always been the case but for a little while this has been happening. I hope someone can help.

I can SSH to the ESXi host no problem and I can see the three VMs which are running absolutely fine on the host. However, I cannot connect to the host using vSphere client and I cannot get the UI (if this version has UI available) to show. The client gives me the error above:

Call "ServiceInstance.RetrieveContent" for object "ServiceInstance" on Server "xxxxxx.xxxx.co.uk" failed.

If I try to connect to the UI and I get 503 Service Unavailable

If I SSH into the host and do:

~ # /etc/init.d/hostd restart

I get this:

watchdog-hostd: Terminating watchdog with PID 451024458

~ # [450968601] Begin 'hostd ++min=0,swap,group=hostd /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml', min-uptime = 60, max-quick-failures = 1, max-total-failures = 1000000

...and then it just hangs there. I need to use CTRL+C to get back to the prompt.

If I do this:

~ # vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

Failed to login: Operation was canceled

If I do any other CLI commands I get the same as above.

This host has been running for a long time. We have never had a problem like this with it before. I would sincerely appreciate some help with this. The three VMs running on it are critical to our business and although they are all working fine, I am really concerned.

Many thanks

Chris

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMs running critical workloads should really have been migrated to a newer ESXi version a long time ago - today you have to be on at least 6.5 to get support and updates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
kenwardc
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there, Scott

You wrote:

VMs running critical workloads should really have been migrated to a newer ESXi version a long time ago

I am well aware of that of course. The reason I asked the question is because I have a project on the go to update all my ESXi hosts to 6.5. This is the only one giving me the trouble and I was really hoping that someone would be able to tell me how to connect to it without the errors I'm getting so I can accomplish that.

Do you know how, or have any ideas for me to try?

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
kenwardc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Everyone

I seem to get various different errors when trying to connect using vSphere. Here's the latest one...

"Unable to read data from the transport connection: The connection was closed."

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos