VMware Cloud Community
prakash9339
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CREATING VM'S ..IN MY SRVER

host1.pnghost2.png

hi .. am having two Exsi host with common storage ...VM's are configured in HA V-Motion enabled ..my question is can i create additional VM's  ..i have enough storage but CPU and RAM utilization i have shared ..

suggest me the best option ..where i can create vm's or not

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JCMorrissey
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Little confused by your comment regards CPU/Memory being "shared" - as such if they are in a cluster they are pooled and if DRS is enabled and at fully automated the next VM you add will be automatically placed on the host that has most resources so will effectively do the placement automatically for you

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... http://johncmorrissey.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
prakash9339
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS is enabled ..can i create new VM'S

0 Kudos
BoneTrader
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

but keep in mind that you should have/keep some ressources in your backhand for when a Host fails 😉

If you don´t have enough ressources you will maybe have poor performance, or some vm´s won´t start if one host fails

Gortee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Evening,

HA has settings to help you automatically determine this answer.  A few things to consider:

1. It looks like all your vm's are using around 32 GB's of RAM at this time.  Given that your hosts have a total of 32GB's of ram it's possible to run all your vm's on a single node.  Which means if you loose a single node you are still in business.

2. Memory can be over commited in vmware a lot... bear in mind when you over commit memory you create slow down's across the board.  So yes you can add vm's but if one host fails or you need to upgrade all your vm's may slow down.  How much of a slow down depends on your vm's needs.

3. HA has settings to prevent power on of new virtual machines if the user set threshold is crossed so you may not be able to power on more vm's without adjusting this setting. 

So end result you can add more vm's but personally if this is a production environment with business critical app's it's time to buy another server.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Joseph Griffiths http://blog.jgriffiths.org @Gortees VCDX-DCV #143