VMware Cloud Community
litok
Contributor
Contributor

CPU reading is incorrect

I am running ESXi 4.0.0, 261974. I am baffled with the CPU reading in the resources.

It is a test white box, running on HP Compaq DC7600.

The CPU is hyperthreading 3.0Ghz. But in ESXi summary tab, it shows as "1 x 0.351Ghz".

It is affecting the speed of the entire ESXi server (i.e. the CPU capacity is only 0.351Ghz.

I have an identical box (DC7600) with same spec, it is reporting the CPU correctly (1 x 3Ghz). It's running the same version and patch of ESXi 4.

I have checked the bios in both servers, they report 3Ghz. I'm not sure if this is CPU hardware issue or something within ESXi.

Anyone has any idea?

Thank you.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JimPeluso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I hate to say it but have you tried reloading the ESXi? Also which processor is in the DC7600? Is it on the hcl?

Jim Peluso

"Keep Moving Forward"

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I would update the BIOS. Does the CPU value also show up on the Configuration > Processors screen?

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

litok
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, BIOS has been updated. the BIOS is showing 3Ghz.

0 Kudos
litok
Contributor
Contributor

Not yet, but if I can't figure out anything in Vmware, I guess that's my only choice.

The CPU is in whitebox HCL (3Ghz). Got another identical box, it is running correctly.

0 Kudos
JimPeluso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

did you check what Dave mentioned from the vSphere Client?

Jim Peluso

"Keep Moving Forward"

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Could be that there is some 'force throttle' enabled in the bios (or indeed, a failed cpu fan forcing the same)?

http://blog.peacon.co.uk

Please award points to any useful answer.

Unofficial List of USB Passthrough Working Devices

litok
Contributor
Contributor

The CPU is faulty, tried to reload the ESXi without success. The CPU fan is still running. BIOS upgraded to the latest, still behaving as such.

Thank you for everyone who has helped.

0 Kudos