VMware Cloud Community
Charli3
Contributor
Contributor

CPU limit on ESXi 4.1

Hi,

Apologies for asking probably a very simple question, I recently built a specification for a first VMWare ESXi server with 2 x Quad core Xeons.

A friend of mine informed me that when he installed EXSi (not sure about the version) it is limited to one physical CPU, so this would be a waste.

I have looked through the documentation and the 'recommended config' mentions 'one or two physical CPUs'. Which suggests to me that the license with regards to CPUs has changed since he went through the motions.

Can someone give me some information on this before I place my server order? I am excited to be getting into the virtualisation game, don't want to start on the wrong foot!

Many thanks,

Charlie

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Charli3
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your super quick reply. I had read that, and just gave it another read.

With two Quad core CPUs it sounds like ESXi 4.1 will work because it has less than 6 cores per physical processor. But I have more than 6 cores in total.

I am reasonably confident that the setup will work, I guess I am just looking for someoen to give an assured yes or no:)

Many thanks,

Charlie

0 Kudos
cacatalano
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
cacatalano
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
cacatalano