VMware Cloud Community
enyahe
Contributor
Contributor

CPU compatibillity? VM fail to start on one ESX

Here is my problem.

I have a esx4 cluster with 3 hosts. All host have different CPU:s and EVC is used. Vmotion is working fine and I can perform live migration between the 3 hosts without any problem. But when I try to start a Multiprocessor windows VM on one of the hosts it will "blue screen" with the message "Multi processor not supported". If I vmotion a VM to the host it runs OK. To start a single processor VM is OK.

-ESX1, HP G6, processor 2x Intel Xeon e5520. VM start without problem.

-ESX2, HP G5, processor 2x Intel Xeon e5335. VM start without problem.

-ESX3, HP G5, processor 2x Intel Xeon e5420. VM blue screen when I try to start it.

Any idéas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

I think is not the main reason, but check if HAL is configured for multiprocessor on your windows guest (device manager, under "Computer").

If you need to change it follow: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003978

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
enyahe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx,

but the HAL is correctly configured. I can't even install windows in a new VM on that host. It's OK to create the VM (and specify multiple processors) but when I insert the Win CD and start install the blue screen comes again.

Can something got corrupt in the vmkernel that cause it to present a "faulse" processor achitecture to windows OS. Or could it be a HW error that cause it?

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would double check all the BIOS settings to make sure that VT and NX bit are set to enable. EVC only checks those BIOS options when the host enters the cluster and if you make modifications and/or swap the motherboard on the host when the host is already in the cluster it will not be checked aain. I would also clear out any CPUID mask on the VM then give it another shot. I can't say for sure that would help, but it sure seems like the CPU bitmask is at fault here somewhere.

0 Kudos
enyahe
Contributor
Contributor

For some reason the BIOS had been corrupted on the ESX host. Reinstall BIOS and then it worked again.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

glad to hear that! 😃

0 Kudos