VMware Cloud Community
Contributor
Contributor

CPU and cores number for free ESXI6.5 and ESXI7

who know the CPU and cores number limitation for free ESXI 6.5 and ESXI 7.

thanks

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The limitation for the free Hypervisor is a maximum of 8 vCPUs per virtual machine.

André

Note: Moved thread to ESXi Discussions

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

any cores limitation for the free  ESXI server?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I mean how many physical CPU and cores number the free ESXI 6.7 or ESXI 7 support.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

With 6.7 there is no Socket or Core limit for Hosts. There is of course a max. limit of vCPU for each VM(see the answer earlier).

I cant speak for 7.0 because there is now a 32 Core license break for all payed versions. Not sure how the free ESXi Hypervisor deal with that but i expect there is no limit.

Take a look to https://configmax.esp.vmware.com/guest?vmwareproduct=vSphere&release=vSphere%207.0&categories=2-0

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I plan to buy a new server to intall the free ESXI. but not sure the CPU and cores limitation for the free ESXI server.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What's shown in the screenshot is for paid licenses only, where customers already had licensed ESXi hosts with more than 32 cores prior to the mentioned date.

For the free Hypervisor there's no such limit.
From https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

~snip~
VMware vSphere Hypervisor
... vSphere Hypervisor cannot connect to vCenter Server and therefore cannot be centrally managed. Users can remotely manage individual vSphere Hypervisor hosts using the VMware vSphere Client. There are no restrictions on the number of physical CPUs per host and on the amount of RAM per server/host. The maximum vCPUs per VM is eight.
~snip~

As a side note: Please remember that most VM based backup application require a paid license (vSphere Essentials, or higher), which enables the required API access.

André

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

thanks.

when I downloaded the free ESXI software , I only got one license.  If I installed a second ESXI server. what is the easiest way to get another free license for ESXI?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

You are allowed to re-use your free license key on up to 100 Hosts.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos