VMware Cloud Community
CarlNewton1985
Contributor
Contributor

CPU Usage Host / Guest

Hi Guys,

Probably a simple question here, but I'm trying to troubleshoot noticeably sluggish performance of ESXi guest machines.

Spec of the host machine is as follows (Its quite old but should be able to handle simple stuff):

Version 7.0 Update 2

4 CPUs x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

31.97 GB Memory

Asus P8P67 Motherboard

2x 1Tb Sandisk SSD drives, non RAID

So I have two datastore configured, and each one has a single copy of vanilla Windows 10 installed on it.  Even with only 1 virtual machine powered on, the performance is noticeably sluggish - not terribly so, but it takes a good few seconds just to load up things like network adapter property pages etc that are normally almost instant.  If you start up the other VM on the other datastore, the problem gets worse.

What I've noticed is that the guest OS CPU Shows around 5-10% CPU usage at idle. But the VMWare host often reports the VM as using upwards of 6Ghz of CPU.  It's currently sat idle, no Remote Desktop sessions, no console sessions from ESXi, no programs running on it, and being reported as using 6.4Ghz by the web admin.

Are there any checks and balances I can do to figure out why this is happening, and whats causing the sluggish performance of the guests?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

All that detail on your host hardware spec but nothing about your VM hardware settings…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mukheem05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you login to Windows10 VM and inside it run Task Manager and identify process which is consuming CPU or Memory resource

Try shortcut key - "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" and select "Task Manager." To open Task Manager or  right-click the Start button on the taskbar.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Comment edited, content removed because it is obsolete and not of objective interest.

Regards.

0 Kudos