VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

CPU Type and Speed of Virtual Machine ?

There is a question from vendor asking for the speed and type of machine we are using.

Currently, we are using a cluster of 3 vSphere Hosts with 2 CPU on each host:

E7440 @ 2.4 GHz

E7440 @ 2.4 GHz

X5460 @ 3.16 GHz

We have assigned 2 vCPU and 2GB of RAM to that Virtual Machine.

What CPU specification should I give it to vendor ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Give the vendor whatever CPU speed is gonig to make them the happiest. Since the CPu speed is going to change as the system moves around, its gonig to be whatever host it resides on when you check it.

PS - are you really sure you must give it 2 vCPU's...best results are typically with a single CPU...even when the vendors whine they need 2 CPU's.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Give the vendor whatever CPU speed is gonig to make them the happiest. Since the CPu speed is going to change as the system moves around, its gonig to be whatever host it resides on when you check it.

PS - are you really sure you must give it 2 vCPU's...best results are typically with a single CPU...even when the vendors whine they need 2 CPU's.

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We just inherit 2 CPU when we perform a P2V a couple of years ago.

It is running Windows 2000 and we would like to know would there be any problem if we change the number of CPU ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What's the software?

I would provide the spec's from the slowest processor, even though they work out to be close enough to each other when you factor in the difference in amount of cache each of the two processors have. I've yet to hear of any software that would require more processesing power than provided by even a single core from one of those processors.

I would also go with the above recommendation of starting with one vCPU on the VM. You're better off going with one, adding a second later IF you find you must. Software vendors that don't take into account virtualization technologies when listing their spec's are falling behind the times. 2GB of RAM is probably a good start, although you could probably even trim that down to 1GB without ill effect. The beauty of using ESX is (depending on the VM's OS) you can enabled the hot add of both processors and memory to adjust faster.

I would enable the alarms for CPU and memory usage on your vCenter Server (of the VM's). That way you'll know when a VM needs more resources than you've provided it, and can adjust the configuration accordingly. If I was running the X5460 processors, I would probably only have one assigned per VM on my host. Since I'm not (running two E5405 Xeons) I've given almost all VM's two vCPU's... That's only after running with 1 on pretty much all of them (except the vCenter Server VM) and enabling the alarms so that I knew that they needed more often enough to make it worth it to add another. I have no VM's with more than two vCPU's assigned. That includes an Exchange 2010 server (which is the only server I've given 4GB of RAM to).

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You'll need to recreate the HAL that's used by the server going from a multiprocessor to an uniprocessor HAL... If you're not comfortable with doing that (take a snapshot before you start making the changes) then I would just leave it alone. If it was Server 2003 SP1 or SP2 then you would have less hassle in the HAL adjusting to meet the new parameters.

It might be easier/better to create a new VM with either the same OS, or a newer one (provided the software you need to run on the server has been updated to run on the newer releases) and do a reinstall. If you go that route, then trim down the spec's to a single vCPU and 1GB of RAM, to start, then set the alarms/alerts so you can track any performance issues and resolve them.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.