VMware Cloud Community
Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

CPU Resource Pool Reservation

Hello everybody

I need to feedback about resource pools and especially for the CPU share usages.

I'm reading the "Mastering Vmware vSphere 5.5" and I understand well how the Vmware works for the CPU share.

I have the a client which want to buy me a resource pools for managing this VM. He will buy 26 vCPU and 64 Go of RAM.

I know how to configure the RAM but I didn't how to do it for the CPU.

I have started by multiple 26 by the CPU clock but the value is more or less than 1 ESXi. So I think I have done a mistack.

Can someone help me for understand how to do it for the CPU resource pool.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards

Matt

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
C0mm4nd3r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Matt,

I personally set a 2 GHz-limit per Core. Host CPUs have 3,0 GHz. On this way a big vm as yours can't "kill" the host and the other vms on it.

When you will use the same limit, you have to set the limit to 52000 MHz (26 Cores x 2000 MHz).

Regards,

Patrick

View solution in original post

4 Replies
C0mm4nd3r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Matt,

you can do it on the same way as on the RAM. In the settings of the ressource pool, if you really want to do this.

I dont know your business model. Do you guarantee MHz per core for each VM, or do you share the Host-CPUs?

You said these 26 vCPUs are the ressources of a complete host. In case of high load of this VM the other vms which running on this host will become problems.

If you don't guarantee MHz per core, you should only set a limit.

Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I haven't been correct.

In my mind, the resources will be not reserved (guaranteed) but shared with all the other vm hosted by the clustered esxi servers.

Now my question is how to calculate the Mhz limit ?

Did I multiple the number of core cpu spedd bu the vCPU number ? In your case, how did you calculate or set the CPU limit ?

Best Regards

Matt

0 Kudos
C0mm4nd3r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Matt,

I personally set a 2 GHz-limit per Core. Host CPUs have 3,0 GHz. On this way a big vm as yours can't "kill" the host and the other vms on it.

When you will use the same limit, you have to set the limit to 52000 MHz (26 Cores x 2000 MHz).

Regards,

Patrick

Matthydras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick

I think your configuration is really go 🙂

In your case, you keep 1GHz on the esxi as reserved CPU resources.

I will work in this direction thanks for your help

Have a nice day

Matt

0 Kudos