VMware Cloud Community
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CPU Issues

Hi All,

I have a small eSXI host with 16 logical processors. I am running 3 VMs on it each assigned 5 CPUs.

Something doesn't seem right. For what is running on this, the CPU should not be struggling like it is. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I can look at to see if there may be an underlying issue that would make CPU performance sub-par? Running just one or two apps pegs it at 99%....I cannot find anything glaring on the OS side and this evening I upgraded to the latest Dell image. Could this be a driver issue or the way I have the CPUs assigned? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Assigning an odd number of CPU's is very uncommon. I would start with 1 or 2 vCPU's per VM and then see if there is CPU contention. If there is you can assign 4 vCPUs for that VM. But more is not always more...  Here is one blog about assigning the optimum number of vCPU's: Maximizing VMware Performance and CPU Utilization But you can find many more on the www...

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Assigning an odd number of CPU's is very uncommon. I would start with 1 or 2 vCPU's per VM and then see if there is CPU contention. If there is you can assign 4 vCPUs for that VM. But more is not always more...  Here is one blog about assigning the optimum number of vCPU's: Maximizing VMware Performance and CPU Utilization But you can find many more on the www...

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. My intent was to distribute them, but I will try your suggestion. Interestingly, my host CPU utilization is running about 30-40% so there should not be an issue.

0 Kudos