VMware Cloud Community
Giannattasio74
Contributor
Contributor

CHanging IP ESXi Management Network

Hi all,

I have a 2-nodes cluster with ESXi 6.0

on both hosts i need to change the IP of my Management Network, so i was looking for the best procedure.

Unfortunately i have never implemented an ESXi Infrastructure so sorry in advance for the silly questions.

As far as I know, i have to place the host in maintenance mode, then connect to the direct console and simply change the old IP address with the new one.

After doing that, a restart of management agents, then finally exit maintenance mode for the host.

Is this correct?

A last question: what is the difference between changing IP address of management network from Vsphere client and changing it from direct console?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cdromeros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Gian,

When you log in from vSphere Client you can't change the management's ip from there, you only have the chance to modify DNS and Gateway. In this case you may modify this Ip address from both the DCUI and CLI, but it'll be easier for you through the former.

Greetings. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Giannattasio74
Contributor
Contributor

Hello cdromeros and thank you for your answer

I have this doubt: when i logon with Vspere Client, and i go on the Management Network then i check properties i see what follows

pastedImage_0.png

It looks as if i can change the management IP. Is this different than using DCUI?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
cdromeros
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Gian,

My bad I was referring to another tab, if you modify the vmk port from your vSwitch0 is the same that doing that in DCUI, but it's advisable you do that from DCUI and after restart your management network.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Giannattasio74
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you mate.

regards

0 Kudos