VMware Cloud Community
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bulletins after applying ESXi4.1 Update 3 bundle -- what to expect?

Sorry for my stupid question, but I need to ask to have my worried mind at rest.

I'm testing the "ESXi4.1 Update 3".  So, I start with ESXi 4.1 U1 (installed with VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0.update1-348481.x86_64.iso).  And I downloaded update-from-esxi4.1-4.1_update03.zip (because it's the latest).

"vihostupdate --scan" command told me that the zip file contains these bulletins and they can be installed:

The bulletins which apply to but are not yet installed on this ESX host are listed.

---------Bulletin ID---------   ----------------Summary-----------------
ESXi410-201208101-SG            Updates ESXi 4.1 Firmware
ESXi410-201208102-SG            Updates the ESXi 4.1 Tools
ESXi410-201208201-UG            Updates the ESXi 4.1 Firmware
ESXi410-201208202-UG            Updates the ESXi 4.1 Tools
ESXi410-Update03                VMware ESXi 4.1 Complete Update 3

After applying the update, "vihostupdate --query" command showed me this

---------Bulletin ID--------- -----Installed----- ----------------Summary-----------------
ESXi410-Update03              2012-09-07T15:30:51 VMware ESXi 4.1 Complete Update 3

I do not see those ESXi410-201208101-SG bulletins and I have no idea if this is correct or not (because this is the first time I'm doing ESXi update).

I'm worried because http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2020373 writes that:

A host is not considered running ESXi 4.1 Update 3 until it is compliant with this bulletin.

And in that bulletin, those ESXi410-201208101-SG are listed.  What does it mean by "compliant"?  Having those bulletins as well?  So??

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Fcpa
Contributor
Contributor

I think you just need to reboot your ESXi host.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mike Fcpa wrote:

I think you just need to reboot your ESXi host.

Good luck!

Sorry, but that's not the answer.  Here, it's not about booting or not.  It's about updating.

0 Kudos
Mike_Fcpa
Contributor
Contributor

Hey!

Yes, you're right.  I just did the update myself, and it requires a host reboot. If you did not reboot it, that would explain your output.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mike Fcpa wrote:

Hey!

Yes, you're right.  I just did the update myself, and it requires a host reboot. If you did not reboot it, that would explain your output.

Thanks

That's not true.  Before and after rebooting, the result is the same.

0 Kudos
Mike_Fcpa
Contributor
Contributor

Ok,

I did the update yesterday, and here's my output after the ESXi host reboot..

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vihostupdate.pl --server x.x.x.x --scan -b "c:\Program Files\VMware\UpdatePackages\update-from-esxi4.1-4.1_update03.zip"
Enter username: xxxx
Enter password:
The bulletins which apply to but are not yet installed on this ESX host are listed.
---------Bulletin ID---------   ----------------Summary-----------------
C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>

So from the look of yours, something didnt go right.  Maybe you could try doing the update again.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should read other users' posts carefully before jumping in -- reread my first post.  My result came from "--query" option, not "--scan" option.

0 Kudos
Mike_Fcpa
Contributor
Contributor

AHh, you're doing --query instead of --scan.. Sorry I missed this..

Then I have the same output as you..

But since the --scan commands tells me nothing in this update applies to my machine, and VCenter server show the right version of ESXi, I'm comfortable with that.

I'll sleep tight :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, either the output from the command is incorrect or incomplete, or the bulletin is wrong or misleading.

But your posts were answer to questions, nevertheless.

0 Kudos