Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Build upgrade via VIB

Hello,

I have a Dell R720

2 x Intel E5530

18 GB RAm

The current version of ESXi = ESXi 5.0.0, build 1311175

I tried to upgrade via VIB ESXi500-201510001 but when the server restarts it displayed the attached screen.

However, after rebooting the server again it return tro the previous build number (1311175).

I need to upgrade my ESXi to the latest build(3086167)

Can someone help me

More info

On the same day I used the same VIB to upgrade a Dell R610 from ESX5.0  914586 to 5.0.0 3086167.  The intervention was successful without any issue. 

- 1 Processor X5660

- 32 Gb

6 Replies
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What command was used to upgrade to " ESXi500-201510001" .

If you have used esxcli software vib install <xxx>  , then try esxcli software vib update <xxxx>

nmedard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Techie01,

thanks for your reply.

yes I used the same command esxcli software vib install <xxx>, to upgrade both host.

Only the R610 was successful.

What is the difference beteen the vib install and vib update??

0 Kudos
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vib install - Installs the software available in the software bundle without checking the existing version installed on the server. It could downgrade software if you have async drivers installed

vib update - Updates the existing installation with new softwares available in the software bundle. It will never downgrade any software as this does a version comparison before upgrade.

The problem on one server and not in other server could be due to different hardware and driver . Please try  the server with vib update command and share your result

0 Kudos
nmedard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok I will try it....but the intervention is not planned yet.   I think it will not be done before the end of Nov

0 Kudos
C0ReDuMP
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had the same problem on a Dell M610 with 2 sockets X5670 @ 2.93GHz: identical purple screen after first reboot, the system come up with the old build number after the second reboot.

I tried to update the software using the command as suggested by Techie01:

esxcli software vib update -d "ESXi500-201510001.zip"

It worked perfectly, after reboot the system is updated to build 3086167.

Thanks a lot,

Davide

0 Kudos
nmedard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thx Davide.

till now I do not have a date to do the intervention. 

Will keep you posted. 

Regards

Nicolas

0 Kudos