VMware Cloud Community
Neutro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bug report ESXI 6.7 build 15160138 - missing ISO file crashes any VM export command

Hey guys,

I just spent 4 hours trying to solve this problem and turns out it's a bug so I thought i'd share it here Smiley Happy

Steps to reproduce:

1 - create a VM and setup its dvd player to use an ISO file in a datastore as boot device for installing

2 - after install is done the dvd player is automatically disconnected from the connected devices to avoid booting on it again.

3 - delete the ISO file in the datastore or through SSH.

4 - try to export the VM through any mean: web client, ovftools, anything... All fails, especially the web client which just shows a progress bar with no errors.

When you check the logs, you find this in hostd.log:

2020-01-25T22:46:28.314Z info hostd[2098582] [Originator@6876 sub=Solo.Vmomi opID=esxui-2b6c-039b user=root] Activation [N5Vmomi10ActivationE:0x00000063e4b18730] : Invoke done [exportVm] on [vim.VirtualMachine:6]

2020-01-25T22:46:28.314Z info hostd[2098582] [Originator@6876 sub=Solo.Vmomi opID=esxui-2b6c-039b user=root] Throw vim.fault.FileNotFound

2020-01-25T22:46:28.314Z info hostd[2098582] [Originator@6876 sub=Solo.Vmomi opID=esxui-2b6c-039b user=root] Result:

--> (vim.fault.FileNotFound) {

-->    faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,

-->    faultMessage = <unset>,

-->    file = "/vmfs/volumes/5e2335a6-78aef506-d442-28f10e01eeaf/ISO/debian-10.2.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso"

So even when the dvd player of a VM is disconnected if it was previously set to an ISO file which has been later removed from a datastore it prevents any regular VM export command through any mean and without clear error message.

This shouldn't provoke a blocking to export a VM, and if it does the corresponding action should display "failed because of missing ISO file..." and not just show an infinite progress bar with no errors.

Thanks for your time Smiley Happy

2 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

well!, thanks for the info I'll try Monday.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> So even when the dvd player of a VM is disconnected if it was previously set to an ISO file which

> has been later removed from a datastore it prevents any regular VM export command through any mean and without clear error message.

When an ISO-file is disconnected from the VM after installation this does NOT change the vmx-parameter

ide0:0.present = "true" to "false"

For a successful export you need to make sure that the <device>.present parameter uses the value "false"

0 Kudos