VMware Cloud Community
DrWhy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bug - Snapshot of 2012R2 VM Takes 10min When Shadow Copies are enabled

When taking a snapshot of a running Server 2012R2 VM with the option "quiesce guest file system" checked, it takes 10min.  That status of the task hits 100% after only 30 seconds, but it does not show as "Complete" until exactly 10min after the status hits 100%.  It does this every time.  It appears to be hitting some sort of timeout.  The cause for this is that within the Windows OS, I have Shadow Copies configured to be saved to a volume other than itself.  Please see the image below.  In this situation Shadow Copies for volume E are being saved to volume T.  If shadow copies for volume F are being saved to volume F, this problem DOES NOT occur.  This problem also DOES NOT occur if I select snapshot Virtual Machine Memory nor does it occur when the VM memory and Quiesceing are left unchecked.  I have taken screen shots of the VSS errors I receive in the VM.  I can recreate this problem on 2 different hosts with different VM's.  Both ESXi 6 hosts have the latest ESXi patch that fixes various VSS issues.

I have three questions:

1. Is snapshoting a Windows VM with Shadow Copies enabled on a secondary volume supported?

2. This operation eventually completes, but because of the errors, is it really completing correctly?  Is the data really getting quiesed properly?

3. Is there any way to fix this?  Please advise

shadow copy.png

error1.png

error2.png

error3.png

error4.png

error5.png

12 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

The first thing which jumps into my eyes is that the 3rd screenshot of error event 12289 VSS mentions "fdc#generic_floppy_drive" as an accessed volume.

Maybe removing the floppy drive from the VM helps to solve at least this.

Also check if VSS is really working following the troubleshooting hints (especially step 3 and 4) in http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100769...

As mentioned in the notes for Windows 2012 of above KB also check if DTC (ditributed transaction coordinator) service is running.

If you have some backup software handy (e.g. Windows Backup) you may try a backup from within the VM to check if VSS is working properly inside Windows.

Last but not least maybe a re-installation of VMWare Tools might help.

0 Kudos
DrWhy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The floppy drive error is benign.  I've removed it on the other VM and the problem continues.  VSS is working fine as a quiesed snapshot works fine if shadow copies are not enabled on a secondary volume. Furthermore, I've reproduced this problem on 4 VM's across 2 different hosts, all with the same results.  I believe that is enough to rule out VSS, vmware tools, and pretty much all other possibilities and narrows it down to how the VMware VSS driver talks with the Microsoft VSS driver.

DrWhy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone have additional info on this?

0 Kudos
FrankMunich
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi6.0 + latest patch:

No time difference when creating snapshots with or without Shadow Copies enabled, also no Errors in the Event Viewer. 2012 R2 as well.

In short, I cannot reproduce your issue. On a side note, does it make sense to use shadow copies in a virtual Environment?

0 Kudos
DrWhy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you have the shadow copies set to be stored on a secondary volume?  It can be nice to have shadow copies enabled as it supplements our backups in a manner of speaking.

0 Kudos
FrankMunich
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, my 2nd disk is E:\ and that's where I created the shadow copies. No problems and no errors. It's a Windows 2012 R2 that was created in vSphere from scratch (boot from ISO) and has a lot of data and applications on it.

0 Kudos
DrWhy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know what to say... I've recreated this error on 4 different VM's and 2 different hosts.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
FrankMunich
Contributor
Contributor

My Versions are:

vSphere Client

Version 6.0.0
Build 2502222

VMWare ESXi

Version 6.0.0

Build 2715440

German-000

The latest patch is ESXi600-201505001.zip - did you install that?

0 Kudos
DrWhy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same ESXi version as you.  I used the vSphere Web Client - Version 6.0.0 Build 2559277.  Do you think that could make a difference?  What version of VMware tools are you running?

0 Kudos
FrankMunich
Contributor
Contributor

I think it is unlikely that the client Version affects the internal shadow copy handling. I can't find my vmware login details in the moment, otherwise I would have tested the latest vsphere Client as well.

I would guess this is more a Hardware/Driver issue on the ESXi Server itself. What Server/Hardware are you using for ESXi?

I am using a HP ProLiant Microserver N54 for which customized vSphere ISO Images are available. That means, I have the best Drivers and files specific for this Server.

If you use the Standard vSphere installer on legacy Hardware, this might be some sort of a Driver/Hardware issue.

0 Kudos
DrWhy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Both hosts are HP ML350p Gen8 Servers.  I am using the HP ESXi image.

0 Kudos
FrankMunich
Contributor
Contributor

You might check if there is a BIOS update or contact HP Support/Vmware Support in parallel. It appears to be a specific issue on this Server type then.

Maybe someone else using this Server can test this as well.

0 Kudos