ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Budget NIC for ESXi

Posted Nov 01, 2010 04:27 PM

Looking to add a separate nic to my esxi box and dedicate it for management traffic only.

If you have a budget /compatible NIC in your ESXi, please post your model.

Assuming 10/100 cards can’t be used?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Budget NIC for ESXi

Posted Nov 01, 2010 04:59 PM

I can't imagine you are going to run into any issues with a modern name brand gigabit card.

Stick with the big players (broadcom, intel etc...) you'll be fine.

• 3.  RE: Budget NIC for ESXi

Posted Nov 01, 2010 05:17 PM

Practically only broadcom/intel based gigabit cards are supported on esx 4. For my lab, i have bought a couple of Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adaptors (PWLA8390MTBLK20) from ebay. The cost me 10euro each...and they work perfectly... :smileygrin:

Rergards,

akops

• 4.  RE: Budget NIC for ESXi
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 01, 2010 09:39 PM

You'll need to get a card that IS on the VMware HCL...

Go with Intel brand cards (I've had better results with these over Broadcom cards).

ALL NIC's will need to be Gb, so no 10/100Mbps cards here.

Do a search on the HCL under the IO Devices tab for keyword "pro/1000"; type: Network; Manufacturer: Intel; Product Release Versions: select from 4.0 through 4.1... You'll get 41 results...

I'm using Intel 82546EB (dual port) and 82546GB (quad port) copper cards in my ESXi 4.1 how without any issues... Granted, these ARE server class cards, not desktop grade/class (there really is a difference)...

Search on Newegg for the "[PRO/1000 GT|http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PRO%2F1000GT&x=0&y=0]"... It's a ~$30 card (single port)... It's also on the HCL... That's about the cheapest adapter I'd be comfortable recommending to anyone... I would also say to buy this in brand new condition (still sealed in the box) NOT used... You have no idea what's happened to it if it's used...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

• 5.  RE: Budget NIC for ESXi

Posted Nov 02, 2010 01:51 PM

I have an Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT card currently, and for some reason remember someone in VMWare class suggesting using two different brands. But don't remember why. Can anyone comment if there is really a benefit?

• 6.  RE: Budget NIC for ESXi

Posted Nov 02, 2010 02:15 PM

Unless you're looking for an HBA (such as a dedicated iSCSI connector), Intel is usually the primary choice, with Broadcom being the secondary choice (brand wise) for the majority of VMware admin's out there (or at least the one's I've talked with)... It's also the way most VAR's lean... Personally, I think dedicated HBA's (such as QLogic make) are over-priced "one trick ponies" that seem to cause people more issues than they resolve (from postings here)... If you're going iSCSI, get the server with TOE enabled at purchase time (for the onboard NIC's) and then get the server class NIC's from Intel (the ones I've used are all TOE enabled/optimized)...

You can usually get Intel NICs from server manufacturers, that have their label on them... Such as an HP card xxxx that's really an Intel NIC just renamed by HP (or Dell)... I've seen far less problems happen by just using the card direct from Intel (not messed around with by others)...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.