VMware Cloud Community
mhdganji
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Browsing Datastore Takes Too Long For A Specific VM

Hi !

As Said in topic title, browsing data store for one of my vms takes too long

i mean when i click on browse datastore (where this vm and some others are located) the folders are shown fast

clicking on every vm folder it shows the vmdk files and .. very quick

but when i click on this specific vm folder, it says searching datastore ...... and takes about 10-15 seconds to show the files

the vm is thin (as many others) and it is a win2008 r2 which is used as our terminal server

and i should note that storage view for this vm also too longs to be displayed

the servers are HP DL380 G7 and storage is p2000 g3 (Fibre)

Thanks for any guide

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try connecting the vSphere client directly to the host that is currently running that specific VM, and see if it's any better.

See this KB for details.

-Andy VCAP5-DCA, VCP-DV 4/5, MCSE, space camp graduate.
0 Kudos
mhdganji
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for ur comment

i tested it with direct connection to the host and it seemed so much better

but i dont like to use this way so can u tell me where can i find and how can i solve it

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

i am experiencing the same problem. but mine is slow when browsing into the datastore itself. not just the vm folder. why?

0 Kudos
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Unfortunately I don't believe there's a way to solve this when browsing from vCenter, just due to the nature of these file locks. From that KB article...

The Datastore Browser included with VMware VirtualCenter Server and vCenter Server does not include internal logic to determine which host is maintaining a given virtual machine's locks. As a result, the selected host to perform file listings is not guaranteed to be the current virtual machine lock owner and may encounter delays.

Unless that logic is eventually added to the VMware datastore browser, or locking mechanisms are changed in such a way that the fopen requests are not delayed, FastSCP may be a little better for you. It won't solve the problem completely, but it's easier to jump from host to host, to get the files you need.

http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esxi-fastscp.html

-Andy VCAP5-DCA, VCP-DV 4/5, MCSE, space camp graduate.
0 Kudos