VMware Cloud Community
AaronB6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bridge/NAT networking option missing in ESXi 6

For years I had been running ESXi 3.5 on a server of mine.  Recently, I formatted the server and installed ESXi 6.  A fresh start with new virtual machines.  When I went to create a new virtual machine, I was not asked what type of network connection I wanted (bridged/NAT/Host-only/etc).  Instead of I was only given a network label drop down.   I did not have this issue with ESXi 3.5 when running on the same hardware.   I really need my virtual machines to use Bridged Networking. Any ideas what the problem is?  How I can get these options back?

See files attached.

Notes:

• When using VSphere 6.0 I get a "Restricted Virtual Machine Settings" message (See attached image)
  • I have connected Workstation 10 & 11 to the ESXi server but still don't get the option when creating/editing a VM
  • I am running ESXi 6.0.0 Build 2494585 and vSphere Client 6.0.0 Build 2143706
  • I have this issue regardless if the server is running in evaluation mode or a free license.
  • I have tried creating new virtual machines using the following Virtual Machine Versions: 4,10,11
  • My virtual machines Windows 7 64-bit
  • I have tried setting the network connection adapater to VMXNET 3 and E1000

Many thanks for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The options you mention are only available with hosted products like VMware Workstation. ESXi doesn't have NAT or Host-Only (actuylly never had such options) and always works comparable to Bridged networking where the uplinks can be shared by the host and the virtual machines..

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The options you mention are only available with hosted products like VMware Workstation. ESXi doesn't have NAT or Host-Only (actuylly never had such options) and always works comparable to Bridged networking where the uplinks can be shared by the host and the virtual machines..

André

0 Kudos
AaronB6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much André.  My mistake.

0 Kudos
RobertoRiosMX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Edit ESXi vSwitch0 configuration and change the promiscuous mode inside the "security" tab from reject to accept, now the hosts who live inside the VM will be able to bridge the main VM adapter.