VMware Cloud Community
core10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Booting a virtual machine from CD drive on vSphere Client

ESXi V4.1--

I know how to get the virtual machine to connect at startup to the host's cd drive.  But it seems I must power on the virtual machine first, then connect the client drive-- and by this time it is too late.

Postponing the boot 5s after power up did not allow me to connect the client CD to the virtual machine during the 5 second pause-- connection was grayed out until the virtual machine started to boot.

Is it possible to boot from the virtual machine from the client CD?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When you see the white bar (after starting the VM) press the "ESC" key. This will bring you to a boot menu (which may not show the CD-ROM at this time). At that point connect the CD-ROM drive and then "warm" boot the VM by pressing CTRL-ALT-INS. Once the white bar comes up, press the ESC key again. Now you should see the CD-ROM as a boot device.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - in the settings of the VM you should be able to configure your virtual cd to connect at power on and have it point to the local cd.

Check out page 99 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_vm_admin_guide.pdf

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When you see the white bar (after starting the VM) press the "ESC" key. This will bring you to a boot menu (which may not show the CD-ROM at this time). At that point connect the CD-ROM drive and then "warm" boot the VM by pressing CTRL-ALT-INS. Once the white bar comes up, press the ESC key again. Now you should see the CD-ROM as a boot device.

André

0 Kudos
MarekZdrojewski
Jump to solution

Alternatively, press F2 during the white bar and go to the BIOS. Set the CD-ROM as first boot device. Exit BIOS to reboot.

- hth

Cheers!

| Blog: https://defaultreasoning.com | Twitter: @MarekDotZ |