VMware Cloud Community
Gr4cchus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Booting VM from USB in 6.x like in 7.x

Two questions. Has there been any recent developments to boot a VM from USB(believe there were two methods, RDM or Passthrough)in ESXi 6.x. Believe one of the issues was to go around this in 6.x you would need another datastore to access which would store Plop Boot Manager as an iso that would feed to the vm to bootstrap the process. In 7.x you can just passthrough or RDM, very easy.

If you cant boot the vm from usb like in ESXi 7.x is there anything planned for backporting the feature to 6.x ?

Thank you,

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine

I'm a little lost in translation, when you say boot from USB do you mean booting the Operating system from a USB stick?

If that's the case, why don't you create an ISO from the USB and mount it to the VM?

0 Kudos
Gr4cchus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Im hanging in there thanks. Hope you are well brother. 

Im talking about installing say ubuntu or centos to the usb drive and the vm using that as its disk. 

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

I get it now, what you want is a live USB / CV
What you can do is mounting the .ISO, most of Linux dsitros ISOs work as live CD's and you will get the same results.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried to use a really high bootdelay like 10 seconds and EFI-firmware and "boot into firmware" option ?
Start VM - plugin USB-stick quickly - then in efi-firmware the USB-stick should appear

0 Kudos