VMware Cloud Community
J0S3M
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Boot Proliant DL from HPE 32GB microSD RAID 1 USB OK?

I'm planning to order some Proliant DL360 servers with no Storage Controller card (PCIe or LOM) so it uses the default onboard controller: SR100i SW RAID (P28417-B21). 

The idea is to boot ESXi 7.0 from HPE 32GB microSD RAID 1 USB that I assume would be using the onboard controller, and get 2 MSA 2062 as external ISCSI storage.

I read this configuration is supported, however HP OCS complains as follows:

HPE Smart Array SR100i Gen10 Plus Software RAID only supports Windows and does not support Linux or VMware on Gen10 Plus servers. (Controller State)

Soo...I'm a little hessitant. Is this config rigth or recommended. Shoul I add a storage controller?

Thnx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DurhamNeil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Booting v7 from USB or SD isn't recommened...

ESXi 7 Boot Media Consideration and VMware Technical Guidance

VCP-DVC 2022 & CCNA

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DurhamNeil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Booting v7 from USB or SD isn't recommened...

ESXi 7 Boot Media Consideration and VMware Technical Guidance

VCP-DVC 2022 & CCNA
J0S3M
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the advise @DurhamNeil. I guess I'll be moving to NS204i-p x2 Lanes NVMe PCIe3 x8 or SAN Boot.

DurhamNeil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good luck mate! I only new about this stuff because we're just updating v6.7 to v7 at the moment, so I've had to go around our hosts to remove SD cards, just to feel absolutely confident that they weren't being used. I'm totally comitted (for the first time) to get our vmware estate set up absolutely to best practice. 🙂

VCP-DVC 2022 & CCNA
0 Kudos