VMware Cloud Community
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Boot Option systemMediaSize - Tiny Enterprise environment

I know the boot drive partitions have changed from the last version to the version I am using v.7, I understand that.  And with help from this community the last week I understand how to use the systemMediaSize option to NOT install an unwanted/unneeded datastore on a greater then 128GB boot drive.  My environment is an HP DL380 G10 with x2 250GB internal SSD's (RAID 1), 2 CPUs and 512GB of RAM w/storage device of 64TB space which will be used for all VM's and the vCenter appliances.  I also understand why one would want/use the local datastore created during ESXi 7 install e.g. home lab, low funds for external storage device whatever type that might be etc...We will use the Tiny Environment option when we install vCenter since we should never grow beyond 10 Hosts or 100 VM's

Is there anyone out there running an Enterprise size v.7 vSphere farm who has installed ESXi on a boot drive greater than 128GB.  I keep reading here and elsewhere about ESXi installs particularly ESXi 7 installs done on USB drives for home labs.  That's all well and good for home labs but I am not sure why anyone would install ESXi 7 on a USB drive for an Enterprise environment e.g. corporate or government environment.  And if not needed why anyone would allow ESXi install to waste space on a datastore? 

After reading post after post and receiving awesome help from this community the last week, also speaking with VMWare support I still dont quite understand which boot option I should use for my environment.  VMware documentation says the 4 different variables for systemMediaSize are as follows...

min = 33GB, for single disk or embedded server
small = 69GB, for servers with at least 512GB RAM
max = all available space, for multi-terabyte servers
default or no option/intervention during

As discussed in my previous posts I do not need a local datastore on the ESXi boot drive but since my boot drive (x2 250GB SSD RAID 1) is larger than 128GB as stated in VMWare documentation the install will create a datastore which it did.  I know this and I know why and I am good with that.  In order not to have the ESXi install create the datastore (I dont want/need) I used the max variable boot option and this type of install DOES NOT create a datastore only the BOOTBANK 0, BOOTBANK 1 and the VMFSL OSDATA partition.  Excellent!  Here is where my questions begin though. (I have used VMWare since v5 but never responsible for architecting or installing ESXi)

Question: From a best practice viewpoint am I OK with using the max boot option or should I use the default option and just live with the datastore I dont need. 

Question: Will I ever need a local datastore since I have the 64TB external storage device?

Question: I dont want my ESXi servers doing anything other than being ESXi servers right?

Question: Why would I use any other option than max boot, which does not create the unneeded datastore therefore maximizing my hard drive and particularly maximizing my OSDATA partition which will use all left over drive space?

Question: Are there other vSphere features to install that will take up OSDATA space?  I am not sure how if at all the OSDATA partition would grow or run out of space if I used the default option which only creates an OSDATA partition of about 128GB and the rest of the  drive is used on a 95GB datastore???

I know this is long winded but I have searched and searched and spoken with VMWare support and these questions are still not clear anyone have experience like this or care to assist with any answers, it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies