VMware Cloud Community
spigandromeda
Contributor
Contributor

Bluescreen 0xc000021a Windows Server 2016 Installation

Hi,

I am trying to install Windows Server 2016 Standard with GUI to a ESXi 6.5 Host. After installing the VM trys to boot but get stuck every time with a bluescreen.

The Stopcode is 0xc000021a. I tried different configuration and images but the problem stays the same. Unfortunatly there is no further information provided with this BSOD. I already tried to repair the installtion via the install medium.

Configuration of the VM:

vCores: 4

Memory: 8 GB

HDD: 40GB, thin providioned, connected to SCSI (0:0)

SCSI-Controller: LSI Logic SAS

CD/DVD-Drive: connected to SATA (0:0)

Firmware: BIOS

Guest-OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2016 (64 Bit)

I also tried first with UEFI as Firmware ... same problem.

The Host:

ESXi 6.5.0 U1

HPE Proliant ML150 Gen9

64GB Memory

Other VMs: with Debian, Ubuntu or FreeBSD, so this is the first Window Server VM

Does anybody know this problem. It dirves my crazy because I am trying to get this working for three days. Can I use the ordinary Image providey by Microsoft (de_windows_server_2016_updated_feb_2018_x64_dvd_11636745.iso)?

best regards

spigandromeda

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already verify the .iso file's checksum against the one provided by MS to ensure that the downloaded image wasn't corrupted during the download.

André

0 Kudos
spigandromeda
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I verified. I also tried other images and I tried image locally. Using the image locally works fine. Using other Windows Server 2016 Images Remotely doesn't work.

I also raised the HDD space from 40 to 60GB in case windows don't like less than that. Didn't help.

0 Kudos
spigandromeda
Contributor
Contributor

I also tried a windows server core installation to exclude GUI as the source of the problem ... no success.

0 Kudos
spigandromeda
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to "install" Windows Server 2016. At the end I created a similar VM local with VMware Fusion, installed WS 2016, completed the process with a successfull reboot and transferred the vmdk file to the server. I cloned it to correct the disk format and connected the disk to the VM. I worked immdiately.

0 Kudos