VMware Cloud Community
ChrisOng
Contributor
Contributor

Blue screen on AD recovery

Dear Vmware Guru,

I perform netbackup of windows 2003 domain controller on a Physical machines where it contains all 5 FMSO roles using windows ntbackup.

I setup a new window 2003 as a workgroup with the same version and service pack 2. Then, I perform a restoration to this virtual machine and it has blue screen. I used vmware converter to reconfigure the virtual machine. It also result in blue screen when I powr on.

I could not go to F8 in the windows 2003.

Even a new Windows 2003 cannot even go to F8.

I try recover on a workstation also and it also have blue screen.

What should I do to recover it to the virtual machine.

I do not want to use a P2V as this is for DR Site.

I guess this is due hardware device driver.

Pls advise.

Million of Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

For AD in DR, we would do a DC promo and have another AD in DR sync. This is much more cleaner and easier.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
ChrisOng
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This is not the objective to achieved.

I will need to restore using Ntbackup. This is one time off off-site anually DR Recovery, so it must be restore using ntbackup to a virtual machine.

Thanks

Appreciate your assistance

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have baremetal backup option from Netbackup turn on?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
ChrisOng
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It a NT Backup, sorry for typepo error. It windows 2003 NT Backup where I only backup the system state.

Attach is the error

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you restore a physical machines backup into a VM, then you will experience this issue because of the hardware difference. NTBackup can only restore the system state onto identical hardware as the source. If you have Identical physical servers you could install windows and restore the NTBackup fine...but gonig between different hardware types will not work.

That is why the best approach to virtualize a domain controller is to setup a new one, transfer the roles and then either leave the original running as a secondary or dcpromo it out of the mix (and update the DNS for all your static clients).

I have however, successfully used vConverter to P2V a domain controller but it was an extreme situation..I would highly recommend that method not be used.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There might be a chance to workaround the issue with the bluescreen, however please don't take this as a recommendation for a DC. It's up to you to decide whether or not to try this.

You may be able to make this work even with NT Backup by injecting the "virtual" disk drivers into the physical system. See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005208 for how to do this.

André

idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

You cant just back up the system state as the bare metal option (to be able to restore on other machine of different hardware). The options will be:

Promote a new AD as virtual in Production and then NTbackup backup and restore as virtual

Change a backup software that has bare metal option that provide the ability to restore on different hardware

Have tools like Platespin Protect that provide P2V replication to DR

0 Kudos
ChrisOng
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Where can I find buslogic.sys ?

The download does not have the buslogis.sys driver?

http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ChrisOng
Contributor
Contributor

Also, where can I find the lsilogi driver for windows 2003?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As stated in the KB article I mentioned, you can find the drivers (btw: BusLogic is for Windows XP only) on a Windows 2003 VM with VMware tools installed. Another option to find the drivers is to attach the "windows.iso" (installed on each ESXi host) to a VM's virtual CD/DVD drive.

André

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

A "system state" restore should merge in the registry keys from your backup with the existing keys required.

By "only" restoring this however, you are leaving out all the Windows DLL's that will often be referred to in the system state. I would ensure you restore all c:\Windows along with the system state. It may also help to apply all Windows updates to your base build prior to restoring, there is a hotfix or two related to restores of System State that may be of benefit.

The drivers you need should already be on the base image you built - it's a matter of keeping them operational.

0 Kudos