ESXi

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

• 1.  Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 09:39 AM
      |   view attached

I installed my ESXi 5 server with the default block size

At  the moment i try to convert a Windows 2008 server and the alert message i have is: "File *.vmdk is larger than the maximum size
    supported by datastore"

It is possible to change the block size after installation of ESXI5?

Please can you help me because i have already converter many server and it is not possible to re install my ESXi server.

Please help.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    convertion P2V.pdf   506 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 09:44 AM

Block size is fixed in VMFS5 to 1MB Unified Blocksize and maxiumum size of VMDK on VMFS-5 is still 2TB -512 bytes.

• 3.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 09:54 AM

How can i modify (increase) it?  because my Esxi is already in fonction with somes server.

the size of the physical server is around 400Go

• 4.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 10:24 AM

Hi,

I couldn't remember exactly, But there will be option to move each virtual disk or volume into different datastore on the destination ESX machine in VMware converter? (If the more datastore is visible to the ESX Server). You need to check in Advanced view.

Can you try, do you have any option to choose the different datastore?

This is more obvious using Platesping migrate.

• 5.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 10:32 AM

Sorry it is not possible to select another storage because i have only one datastore whish is base localy on the ESXi

• 6.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 10:49 AM

Hi,

What's the datastore size? Is it 2TB -512 Bytes?

You said, You have 400GB data to convert. So 2TB is more than sufficient space for your 400GB.

Your datastore size must be less or you have occupied with many VMs on the same datastore.

If you have some other VMs occupied space on this Datastore, you need to think how to make free space...

• 7.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 29, 2012 10:49 AM

From the screenshot I understand you are trying to do a Voulme based cloning and you deselected (I:) and selected a share resource (FAT).

Is it possible for you to unselect the share resource (FAT) and give a try

Is it possibe to a disk based cloning an check?

Just to be sure you have enough space on your datastore to perform this conversion and Which version of Converter are you using?

• 8.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 11:14 AM

When i unselected the FAT drive, the message i have mention that the VM could not be start withouth a system file volume

After that i have the same alerte message on the screenshot "datastore2 could not take the file with that size. check the file system bloc size"

There is a large space on datastore2 about 850 Go

After another verification i note that my VMFS is 3.33 . could it be the problem?

• 9.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 11:20 AM

VMFS is 3.33 - VMFS 3 which is of vSphere 4.0

Please check the ESX/ESXi version and the block size of your datastore Host-Configuration-Select Datastore-you will notice block in screen below

• 10.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 11:54 AM

My ESXi is Version 5 according to the license i have.

Iti possible to convert VMFS from 3.33 to 5.

Do you think that i have to convert it first?

Do i need to backup all VM on datastore before operation?

Is the convertion have anay incident on VM?

Thanks

• 11.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 11:59 AM

If you have access to your host using Putty can you run command vmware -v or select your host in vSphere Client and on right side you will see you host version.

Please post the output here

• 12.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 09:53 AM

• 13.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 09:58 AM

Hi,

Aravind already answered your query.

As per your screenshot you target LUN is not capable to accept all your physical volumes..

It looks you are trying to move one of the mapped volume too, so please uncheck the mapped volume and check the size of your local machine data. And find the suitable datastore to migrate.

• 14.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 10:04 AM

Hi,

vSphere 5.0 have a block size of 1MB only and VMFS-5 has a maximum virtual disk size of 2TB minus 512B. However, passthrough  RDMs are supported up to 64TB.

I think is available in ESX as per the below link

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012683

Will check it and let you know if possible

• 15.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 10:20 AM

@UmeshAhuja - in vSphere 5.0 we have Unified block size of 1MB so cant change the block size, the link which you have mentioned is of vSphere4.0 where we had 1,2,4,8 MB block size so we had a chance to change in vSphere 4.0

• 16.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 10:30 AM

Hi,

Hey aravind correctly said by you , I have mention for the ESX below 5.0  and not for the ESXi 5.0 as per the query.

Its only for the informatory contenct

• 17.  RE: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Posted Feb 29, 2012 12:53 PM

you got a lot of missguiding answers ....

your problem probably is caused by the fact that the boot-volume - marked in red is using FAT filesystem.
    Converter cant handle FAT for hotclones.

So assign a driveletter to that volume - and convert the volume to NTFS with the windows-buildin convert.exe
    When that is done - try again