VMware Cloud Community
muthuvairavantu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Blank Screen with a cursor after V2V Windows 2008 R2

Hi All,

I just did a cold V2V of the Windows 2008 R2. Migration completed successfully. However when I tried to boot the machine in the new infrastructure, it shows a blank screen with a flashing cursor.

I tried teh bootrec /fixmbr & /fixboot and also tried bootrec /rebuild.

Old environment - Esx 3.5

New Environment - ESXi 5.1

Before V2V the machine was having a SCSI LSI logic and while V2V i used the preserve option for the same.

Could you please advise as what could be the possible reason and the solution as well.

Cheers,

Muthu.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
muthuvairavantu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks all for your responses,

Installed the vcenter converter locally and initiated the V2V. the new machine came up successfully.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pgoggins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try upping the video memory and see if that changes the problem.

----------------------------------------------------------- Blog @ http://www.liquidobject.com
0 Kudos
Najd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Boot the VM in safe mode then change the Display driver to "Standard VGA"..see if that helps.

If that wont help try to upgrade VMware tools and virtual machine hardware. also increase video ram from 4 to 16

Best regards

0 Kudos
muthuvairavantu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi pgogins,

I tried the video memory upgrade to 32 MB. Still it did not work.

Hi Najd,

I'm not getting the option to enter into safe mode. After delaying the boot to 10,000 ms, It just gives me an option to enter system setup or choose the boot menu.

Any help is appreciated...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Boot the VM as it is into a LiveCD
Once that is up - check if the system partition exists at all and if it is bootable

Maybe your V2V failed or was misconfigured

0 Kudos
muthuvairavantu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks all for your responses,

Installed the vcenter converter locally and initiated the V2V. the new machine came up successfully.

0 Kudos