VMware Cloud Community
dmots
Contributor
Contributor

Black screen after upgrade kubuntu 11.10 to 12.04

Hi,

I was stupid to think that upgrading to kubuntu 12.04 started from the desktop of a working 11.10 works within a virtual machine.

After the reboot it shows the splash screen of kubuntu with a grey background and 4 flashing dots. Soon after that it shows a black screen without a cursor.

Pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't work. Upgrading VMWare tools doesn't work. I can't access with telnet or ssh because it was never configured.

The apache server is running and some websites running on it with joomla are accessable.

I figured out that pressing Alt-Tab is showing an empty taskpane. After this the cursor is shown as a big cross.

Pressing Ctrl-F8 is showing a big green plus and a grey minus at lower right corner. The mouse is working because pressing the big green plus changes the state of the big grey minus to a red minus. I think this is a zoom function in KDE?

How can i enter the console to try to solve the problem and what is the problem?

I am using ESXI 5.0

Dennis

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dmots
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

In the mean time I was able to enter the rescue mode from GRUB. It was very hard to exactly time the moment of pressing the shift key.

You have to click into the window just after the VMWARE boot screen and at the same time press the shift key and holding it down until you see the GRUB prompt.

In the rescue mode you have to enable write access to the root path and to enable the eth0

I tried to install the xserver-xorg-video-vmware package but it was already installed.

I think xorg is working but the KDE desktop is corrupt?

Any help is welcome, Dennis

0 Kudos