VMware Cloud Community
pandiris
Contributor
Contributor

Black Screen with VM232 message on ESXi host

Hi All,

I am Sudhakar, working in IT Services Company. Need a help!!

We had a maintenance activity in our CoE Lab, all the servers were offline for about a week because of the renovation of the Lab and Air Condition. All the servers are non-production server. All the boxes and storage had come back online successfully and all the VM's are functioning as usual. On one of the esxi (5.0) host we found this weird issue(Well not sure if it is an issue) as all the VM's in the host are running with no issues. When we connect to the esxi host. We see 'Black Screen with VM232' message' and there is no login promt. didn't find anything in Google, Tried rebooting the host twice host to see if it fixes the issue. . Is there anyway I can get rid out of this message? Can anyone help?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hey Sudhakar,

Where do you see this? On the ESXi host DCUI or console screen?

What happens if you type in ALT and F12?

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
pandiris
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a,

Nothing happened when I type ALT and F12, it just stayed on the same Screen. When I reboot,I noticed it loads all the files successfully and gets into this screen.

Yes it is on DCUI.

Regards,

Sudhakar

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Is there any prompt that comes up for entering the console?

F2 - username /password?

Can a screenshot be shared of the exact error that comes up?

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
pandiris
Contributor
Contributor

There is no prompt user name and password. So, exactly at that standpoint where it suppose to go in to that Console..  it is going in to the black screen with the vm232 message.

I have attached a screen shot, also I have noticed. the moment it get to this screen looks like my keyboard and mouse getting disabled.

Sudhakar

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Could you either check or upload the following files and check if there are any errors

1. /var/log/boot.gz

2. /var/log/vmkernel.log

3. /var/log/hostd.log

Also, are you able to take a browser and point it to the host and check if the default ESXi homepage comes up?

Regards

a

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Sudhakar,

Are the keyboard, mouse and screen connected directly to the ESXi host, or are you using a KVM-switch or KVM-over-IP system?  Your description makes it sound like there is a KVM switch of some sort in the way and it doesn't like the ESXi host for some reason.  Maybe the "VM232" is a named port on a KVM, or the name or model of the KVM...

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
pandiris
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David,

yes, keyboard, mouse and screen are directly connected to the Host and we are not using any kvm switch. I am using HP DL360 model server.

A,

The files that you mentioned are loading successfully. I will give it a try once.

Regards,

Sudhakar P

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

OK. Check for any errors or anything related to VM232

Also are there are VM's on this host now, right?

Try this - move all VM's to other hosts and place this host in maintainence mode.

Remove the /etc/vmware/hostd/vmInventory.xml and reboot the host and check if the message still comes up?

Thanks

a

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you then see the same thing when launching the DCUI throug a SSH session? SSH to host and type dcui..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos