VMware Cloud Community
vAndrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Black Screen VMs

Hi,

I have vSphere client installed on my machine, if i use it to connect to vCenter, it connects fine and displays everything, if i then open a VM console, the VM screen is black, same with every VM I open. If I use another PC it works fine, same if i run it from the vCenter server it all works.

So its not a user problem, its related to my machine....anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

-- Andrew (VMware VCP-DCV, MCSA)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
BilBens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A black console screen is probably caused by one of the following two questions:

Video memory is not set correctly (usually with display drivers WDDM) as mentioned by DSTAVERT (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016770) or problems firewall (blocking ports 902/903) as explained at http 😕 / kb.vmware.com/kb/749640

Please do not forget the certification points for "helpful" and / or "correct" answers.

Please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points to those Answers you found useful or correct.
0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Are you using Windows 8 by any chance? Because there were/are some issues with that and vsphere client ...

0 Kudos
vAndrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The WDDM driver is set in the vmware settings though, I can connect from other PCs and from the vCenter server using vShpere, its just my machine I cant connect from as that is the one displaying the black boxes, anyother works fine.

Same ges for the firewall, it would affect them all if it was a firewall issue, not just the one machine. The local firewall on the machine is disabled aswell.

Its using Windows 7 and worked fine previously. As far as im aware nothing has changed!

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

try reinstalling the client.

like yuou said it is your machine since from anyother machine it works ok

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
vAndrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have already tried reinstalling the client, and also the graphices driver!

No idea what is going on with it

0 Kudos
Chaz999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

Try to add host name and IP of the host that hosted all VM in to your local host (C:\Windows\System32\driver\etc\host) file on your desktop/Laptop

Thanks

0 Kudos
vAndrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tried that, still no luck Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Chaz999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ports 902 and 903 must not be blocked between the vSphere Client and the hosts. These ports are used

by the vSphere Client to display virtual machine consoles

to test this

from your dekstop/Laptop

telnet <vCenter IP> 902 as well as

telnet <host> 902

telnet <Host IP> 903

if these ports are not open then you won't be able to see console screen of your VMs

also check Windows FW.

Thanks

0 Kudos
vAndrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

These ports are not blocked, otherwise it would never have worked. Its only the past few weeks its stopped working on a single machine only!

0 Kudos
vAndrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Solved by rebuilding machine!

0 Kudos