VMware Cloud Community
baldur2630
Contributor
Contributor

Black Console Screen after updating from 4.1 to 5.5

I have a Proliant ML110 G6 Server with a Xeon Quad Core X3430 CPU and 16 GB RAM

It was working fine with ESX 4.1. I decided to update it to 5.5, because I don't think  6.5 will run on this hardware. I ran Update and it worked without error. All that was on the ESX server were a CentOS 6.4, a CentOS 7 and a Windows 2008 R2 Server.

I started up all three hosts, but Open Console just gave me a Black screen.

Fortunately i Have NoMachine NX on both Linus servers. I can access both of them without any problem on my iPad, but Open Console is just Black.

I can do nothing with the Windows Server, because although NoMachine NX is installed on that, I have to first login and without the console screen it won't work. I can'y install a VCentre Server because I can't access the Windows server.

I searched with Google, and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. I've tried upping the Video RAM to 32 MB - Makes no Difference.

I disabled and unloaded the Firewall, so it isn't Port problems, I've restarted all the components and the management agent, but still the same.

Has anyone managed to fix this? I thought of putting a 3rd Party Video card into the server but I;m no convinced that it would be a solution. The alternative will be to stop using VMWare and go back to dedicated servers.

All help will be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Check and ensure port 902 is open from your workstation where you're trying to open the VM consoles to the ESXi host.

0 Kudos
baldur2630
Contributor
Contributor

The ESX Server is on the same Lan as the workstation. ESX is 192.168.0.253, Workstation is 192.168.0.4.

We have a Smoothwall Express Firewall, but internal traffic will bypass that. As far as I can see Ports 902 and 903 are both open on my workstation and we have checked on the ESX server (KB2008226). How can I check the workstation, because so far there is no difference, the console screen stays black

0 Kudos