VMware Cloud Community
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Better to use E1000 or VMXNET3

I'm in the process of creating new VM on ESXi 5.5 and I was curious to see what everyone recommends as far as network adapters. I see VMXNET3 is the newest one so is it safe to assume that I should be using that for all new VM's?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VMXNET3 is the paravirtualized adapter from VMware, less overhead (so more speed), and a 10 GbE connection. Only disadvantage, you need the VMware Tools installed in most to all guest OS'ses. So yes, I'd go with that, but which guest OS are you trying to virtualize?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VMXNET3 is the paravirtualized adapter from VMware, less overhead (so more speed), and a 10 GbE connection. Only disadvantage, you need the VMware Tools installed in most to all guest OS'ses. So yes, I'd go with that, but which guest OS are you trying to virtualize?

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just setup a new Server 2008 R2 vm using the VMXNET3 adapter. Thanks for the input

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If your VM supports vmxnet3, I do not see any reason to use e1000(e). vmxnet3 offers better performance, higher speed, lower cpu-load, and better stability...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

"...you need the VMware Tools installed in most to all guest OS'ses..."

No linux-distro with kernel >= 2.6.32 needs vmware-tools just because of vmxnet3. Its driver is part of kernel-tree...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Correct, but most Windows and older Linux OS'ses need the tools installed.

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I always install VMware Tools so that's no problem.

0 Kudos